General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cooling fluid leak near inside lower rad hose connecting pipe on block...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 03:08 AM
emswaney
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling fluid leak near inside lower rad hose connecting pipe on block...

I have a 1989 Grand Caravan with a 3.0 Mitsubishi engine with 193,000 miles. I've never had any major issues (other than significant oil/tranny leaks from main seals now) and have always done the preventative maintenance.

My water pump has been making noise for over a month. At first I didn't know what it was. However, recently when driving home (only a couple miles from park-n-ride), the engine began to overheat. I drove it home as I was only 5 minutes from home. After it cooled, I started filling up the radiator again, but to my surprise noticed that a lot of water was leaking from the back of the engine (actually down over the tranny as it was still laying on top of it).

Tonight I removed the serpentine belt to verify the noise is not from that belt which it is not. I also have seen coolant leak from behind
the crankshaft pully while running, so I'm pretty sure the pump needs replaced.

Again tonight, I filled up the system and caused the leak. This time I followed it up to in between the heads where the lower radiator hose goes in. The hose connects to some type of aluminum pipe. Could this pipe be leaking, or some other small hose, or is this a head gasket or ???

Thanks for any help!

Old 11-01-2006, 06:41 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Cooling fluid leak near inside lower rad hose connecting pipe on block...

Too bad I'm no longer living at "home" or I'd be able to answer this question for you.
Maybe a picture(s) will help me.
You might also try removing the hose at the suspected area and give that area a good check out.

Quick Reply: Cooling fluid leak near inside lower rad hose connecting pipe on block...