General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Aeroturbine muffler

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 12:21 AM
Sean99TJ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aeroturbine muffler

ORIGINAL: 71RoadRunner

That is another concern all together, turbocharged cars/trucks. The turbos turbine spins in one direction spiraling the exhaust to begin with, if the mufflers spiral contradicts the direction in which the turbo spins it, it could actually hurt the performance and create a power loss instead of a gain. This is also of concern on the intake side with these junk throttle body spacers and the Tornado and it's type of products. If it spins it in the opposite direction that the turbo does, it could actually cause the intake air to kinda stall out and you might also loose boost not to mention the reduction of flow from changing it's direction of rotation.
I have to throw the BS flag here... the reason the tornado doesn't work has nothing to do with spinning air or not...it was always a sham. And if you think your friggin exhaust is spinning because it went through a turbo......you better figure out how the turbo works. It is a pump that uses the exhaust as its prime mover...the exhaust doesn't spin. Now if your making a funny ok...but that doesn't answer the question asked by mopartodd.

The real truth is that you are buying the sound you like, because one hi flow muffler is probably as good as the next. They all just sound slightly different, most don't even offer any gains in horsepower or torque for the 5.7L. Flowmaster in particular went back to the drawing board for the hemi because flowmaster 40s showed a loss of power...they have a hemi specific muffler now.

As far as aero turbine not willing to honor warranty claims based on a chassis dyno I don't blame them. Chassis dyno's are inherently innacurate and subject to differences of up to 25 hp over the same day with the exact same vehicle.

Oh yeah, I like my aero turbine muffler, and a lot of guys that have flowmasters and magnaflows come over and ask what I am running.

Old 08-09-2004, 01:35 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought they were a bit on the loud side. I had a chance to ride in my friends turbo car and it was loud even with the top down. Everyone has their preferences on this.

As far as the gaurantee, they could back it for some performance. Granted, it wouldn't be smart for them to say that "your hemi will gain 10 HP and 2 MPG". But they could say that gains will be realized. That is what they claim and how they are marketing the muffler. It's like I told them, I already have the base data for my truck, dyno results and mileage, and suggested an agreed upon percentage as back-up to their claims. They didn't go for it. I have nothing to gain except a product that works, but would lose my time and $75 for the dyno time. To some degree, I'll agree with you about the chassis dyno, but MPG increases are easy to see when you have a complete record for your vehicle.

I'm curious though. Have you seen any noticable gains with the Aeroturbine muffler?

Old 08-09-2004, 09:10 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sean99TJ

ORIGINAL: 71RoadRunner

That is another concern all together, turbocharged cars/trucks. The turbos turbine spins in one direction spiraling the exhaust to begin with, if the mufflers spiral contradicts the direction in which the turbo spins it, it could actually hurt the performance and create a power loss instead of a gain. This is also of concern on the intake side with these junk throttle body spacers and the Tornado and it's type of products. If it spins it in the opposite direction that the turbo does, it could actually cause the intake air to kinda stall out and you might also loose boost not to mention the reduction of flow from changing it's direction of rotation.
I have to throw the BS flag here... the reason the tornado doesn't work has nothing to do with spinning air or not...it was always a sham. And if you think your friggin exhaust is spinning because it went through a turbo......you better figure out how the turbo works. It is a pump that uses the exhaust as its prime mover...the exhaust doesn't spin. Now if your making a funny ok...but that doesn't answer the question asked by mopartodd.

The real truth is that you are buying the sound you like, because one hi flow muffler is probably as good as the next. They all just sound slightly different, most don't even offer any gains in horsepower or torque for the 5.7L. Flowmaster in particular went back to the drawing board for the hemi because flowmaster 40s showed a loss of power...they have a hemi specific muffler now.

As far as aero turbine not willing to honor warranty claims based on a chassis dyno I don't blame them. Chassis dyno's are inherently innacurate and subject to differences of up to 25 hp over the same day with the exact same vehicle.

Oh yeah, I like my aero turbine muffler, and a lot of guys that have flowmasters and magnaflows come over and ask what I am running.
True, just like a fan does. But it will have a certain direction of rotational movement because of this. I'm not saying that it is going to swirl it with the force of a tornado, but if it's rotating then so is the air that has to pass through it.

He had asked if anyone had heard anything about them and I had, that they were snake oil junk. I have not had them myself and I have never claimed to, I was just passing along what I have heard from some that have had them.

Differing dynos give differing data. There are several different types of dyno out there and then similar types that measure that power differently. The only way to know is to use the same exact dyno every time.

Some mufflers will give you dyno proven results and I know that I had a good increase with my Flowmasters on my Roadrunner. If you want to know if a muffler is good for you it helps to know the CFM the engine is putting out and how much the muffler can flow. It's all a matter of volume vs. velocity.

Are you sponsored by Aero Turbine, because you sound like a spokesman/salesman for them?

Old 08-09-2004, 10:57 PM
Sean99TJ

no sponsorship at all...s**t they gouged me full price. I don't work anywhere near the auto industry.

as far as mpg gains......I haven't got tired of listening to it under fairly stiff accelleration yet...I'll let you know ....

Old 08-15-2004, 02:37 AM
jbrun

I run a Spin Tech on my 04 1500 Hemi and the db rating is 95. The exhaust has a slight growl to it and the noise in the cab is no more than stock was.
ORIGINAL: mopartodd

The link should be working now.

They seem to be concerned that is was going to be loud. They also offer resonators that "match" their mufflers. [sm=smiley24.gif]

Quick Reply: Aeroturbine muffler