General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Timing DISASTER on DOHC 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 04:34 PM
Dizturbed One
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing DISASTER on DOHC 3.0

anybody got a service repair manual? lol

dohc 3.0 in a FWD 1995 Dodge Caravan

my buddy recently attempted to change his timing belt and water pump. in his total ignorance the crank and both cam gears have been turned every which way with and without the belt on. he didn't line it up before disassembly or anything. luckily he had trouble getting it on and he called me or he would have put it together and slapped some valves on the piston. he's flat broke and can't get a manual, and i have only limited mechanical knowledge.

how can i be sure both cam gears are on the correct stroke while they are pointing at the timing marks? how can i be sure #1 piston is at TDC on the compression stroke? right now the marks are pointed opposite each other, with the mark on the crank lined up. but even with the crank lined up, the rotor does not point to #1, its 90 degrees off in the clockwise rotation. he's done some serious moving around in there.

any help would be a life saver, we have to get this damn van off jackstands in his apts. thank you in advance.

Quick Reply: Timing DISASTER on DOHC 3.0