General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ballast resistor smokes

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 07:11 PM
zarkon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ballast resistor smokes

i have a 1988 3/4 ton with a 360. when i turn on the ignition the ballast resistor heats up and begins to smoke. if i unplug the ignition module or leave the ignition module plugged in but unbolt it from the fire wall it does not smoke. i have tried a second used ignition module and it does the same thing. any thoughts as to why it would be doing this would help alot. it has me totaly baffled.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:49 AM
kurtdaniel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ballast resistor smokes

ORIGINAL: zarkon

i have a 1988 3/4 ton with a 360. when i turn on the ignition the ballast resistor heats up and begins to smoke. if i unplug the ignition module or leave the ignition module plugged in but unbolt it from the fire wall it does not smoke. i have tried a second used ignition module and it does the same thing. any thoughts as to why it would be doing this would help alot. it has me totaly baffled.
It is most probably due to a short circuit in the circuit powered by that resistor. If you want to repair it yourself, get a factory service manual for its schematics.

Quick Reply: ballast resistor smokes