Jeeps The tough off road capability of ANY Jeep model from the Wrangler to the fully loaded Grand Cherokee keeps this cousin of Dodge the king of every hill.

'07 Wrangler Test Driven....

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 09:47 PM
grungerockjeeper
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '07 Wrangler Test Driven....

Ok, so I was out running some errands today and spotted one of the new 4 door TKs in a Fred Meyer parking lot. It was that rescue green with a soft top and a fresh set of 32" tires on some slick looking polished aluminum deep dish 10-hole wheels. Actually looked pretty good so I thought Id go check these out at the dealership. I went into this thing with a real open mind. More than anything I wanted to be impressed with the new Jeep like I was the first time I drove a TJ when they came out.

What I drove was a 2 door, soft top X model with a 5 speed. I was not impressed. I can handle the fact that Jeep took some steps to modernize the Wrangler. The curved windshield and slightly 'squattier' look as well as the overall size increase are steps that were taken to appeal to a little broader audience, I get that. Those big, dopey looking, floppy *** front fenders may look like total ***, but at least theyre removeable. Im sure it wont take long for someone to start cranking out steel replacements that will give the flatfender look, it wouldnt be hard. On the 2 door models, the rear most rollbar spreaders come down way too far from the tailgate, and that throws off the look when the top's down. Hopefully someone will make a kit that will use the rear 'cage from the 4-door since it has the right look thats been lacking since '92. Power windows have absolutely NO business in a Wrangler or any open top 4x4. But that being said, they ARE an option. You dont have to buy them, provided you order your rig. Every last TK there was so equipped. The 16" wheels look like ***. There's that. Taste is subjective, I know that. But a Jeep just doesnt look right on anything other than 15" wheels in a deep dish and at least 8" wide. Preferably slot mags. With the new brakes, I dont know if 15s will fit. That would be a HUGE sore spot for me if I cant put the kind of wheels I want on my truck.

Some of the changes arent bad at all. I like the little extra length since I actually dont have to rack the seat all the way back on its track, being 6'1". The door sills are lower so getting in/out is a bit easier. There's this cool false bottom in the rear by the tailgate that would make a kickass storage locker. Maybe it just takes some getting used to, but this thing just doesnt feel like a Jeep. Now if it were a ford or dodge product with this kind of feel to it, Id be ok with it.

Now for the most part, all these gripes are mostly just the natural backlash that comes with a major change in an icon. I would probably get used to most of them.Case in point--I never did like the dash on the TJ, and still dont. Even my YJ had a better look to it. But I can live with it. What I cant live with is *and read this slowly and carefully so that it sinks in real good* A TOTAL AND UTTER LACK OF POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ill tell you right now that this truck was set up with 3.21 gears which are ridiculously high. But my TJ has the same setup and 32" BFGs and would beat the TK I drove hands down. Not smoke it, just beat it. The 3.8 is a minivan engine and has no business in a Jeep. Maybe it'd be acceptable as the base powerplant, Id go for that. But this thing lacked torque down low BIG time. Felt like I was going to stall nearly every time I took off. What good is that off road? Again, mismatched gearing is probably partially to blame and I recognize that. But a turbo diesel and a v-8 of some kind are absolute MUST HAVES for the options list. I shudder to think what this thing would drive like if it were a 4 door with the automatic.

And the clincher was after the test frive. The salesman I rode with was a pretty good guy. But when we got back and he'd heard enough of my bitching about the lack of guts, he goes and gets the sales manager which is a standard step at any car lot. The guy who comes to work me over is the quintessential car salesman I wouldnt trust any further than I can throw. He's like 6'5, lanky and tanned with silver hair and a plastic gleaming smile that just screams 'Im Gods gift to women and pretty much everyone else'. He starts probing for what the dealio is keeping me from plunking my hard earned cash down on his shiny red TK. I told him straight out that this rig feels grossly underpowered and when are the V-8s and diesels coming. He starts telling me that the diesel is a possibility and sounded halfway intelligent discussing that with me, but then he drops the ball. He goes on about how he's a Jeep enthusiast himself and that he's all about speed also. "These are just too light of a car (CAR!?!?!) for a V-8 and I just cant see it happening." And he kept referring to the fact that Wranglers are too light for V-8s (but not mustangs, Dakotas, or Corvettes all of which weigh less) and he keeps calling it a freaking car! Like 5 times! As he's rattling on Im zoning out and fantasizing about him calling a Jeep a car one more time and me strangling him to death. But I keep my composure, grab a sales brochure and fire up my TJ, noting how oh so very JEEP it feels, looks and drives.

I think when I get ready for another ride, my TJ will become a pure toy to get modified as I want it. Its damn near perfect for me. The biggest problem Ive ever had with itwas a leaky radiator tank and even after driving it every day for 4 years itstill looks great andbrings a smile to my face every time I drive it. And while it could stand a v-8 too, a swap kit for a 4.7 or even a Hemi has GOT to be cheaper than a TK. Ill look for a sporty, quick car that gets good mileage when the time comes. Maybe a sebring coupe. Maybe a Daytona. Maybe a celica. Maybe just maybe, by then Illhave a few more raises and/or a promotion under my beltand be able to afford a Challenger...

Old 05-19-2007, 12:14 PM
importkillerrr
Rookie
Default RE: '07 Wrangler Test Driven....

it's a JK, not TK!!!!! And mine has plenty of *****.

Old 05-19-2007, 06:39 PM
importkillerrr
Rookie

hmm.....you test drove the truck enough to know that the power sucks (your opinion) in the 5 speed.......problem is there is no 5 speed in the JK, it's a 6 speed. Seems to me that one would notice such things.

Old 05-19-2007, 11:07 PM
grungerockjeeper
Veteran

Youre right, it was a 6-speed, my bad. Hard to notice though since I never could get it in 6th gear since it was bogging in 5th even at 65mph. And its only like the 3rd time Ive ever even driven a 6-spd.

Well whats the TK then? Ive heard that modeldesignation thrown around before. Besides, does that really matter? The topic here is driving impressions, not **** details like model designations.

Ill give you this, yours DOES look good...the black (or grey) centered wheels look awesome with that slate blue. Ill admit the new body style seems more in line with the 4-door than the 2 door.

You say the V-6 has plenty, but wouldnt rather have the OPTION of at least a 4.7 in your rig? It just seems like this is a lot of iron to be pulled around by such a small engine to me. Like I said though, I drove one with the taller gears. The thing is, my TJ has the same gears and it feels much more powerful, even with slightly taller tires. You were right about one thing, it IS my opinion, thats what these automotive forums are, and outlet for peoples opinions. And in my opinion, a V-8 is the main element thats been SORELY lacking in the open top Jeep lineup since 1981. The Commander is a total waste of V-8s that should be in Wrangler framerails. Again, JMO.

Quick Reply: '07 Wrangler Test Driven....