Jeeps The tough off road capability of ANY Jeep model from the Wrangler to the fully loaded Grand Cherokee keeps this cousin of Dodge the king of every hill.

Possible to put Hitch on SRT8

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 04:15 PM
DrivenWS6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible to put Hitch on SRT8

I know it may sound retarded but I really like the SRT8 Cherokees and want to get one but I also need something to tote my quad around from time to time. Would it be possible to put a hitch on an SRT8 since the exhaust exits where the hitch normally would be. I wouldnt be pulling hardly anything at all just a llittle 6x12 trailer or smaller with a 350 pound quad on it. So is it possible? Thanx

Old 06-09-2007, 02:54 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Default RE: Possible to put Hitch on SRT8

No,there's a reason why the SRT-8 has the exhaust in the middle and that's to prevent any towing altogether. In fact, if you check out Jeep.com, you'll find that they specifically state that towing with the SRT-8 model is not recommended.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:34 AM
DrivenWS6

its got that weak of suspension huh? That sucks.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:00 AM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It is not that it is weak, it is design for performance. If you want to pull get a vehicle that is designed to pull. [8D]

Many make the same mistake with the SRT-10 Ram RC.....

Old 06-11-2007, 02:04 PM
DCXgageman
Veteran

I found this fron Dec. 2, 2005 on our internal company web site. I knew you could tow with them. I have no idea what type of hitch it would use, dealer may (doubtful though) be able to help.

A conversation about Jeep® Grand Cherokee SRT8

In October, John Cathcart, Jeep® Grand Cherokee SRT8 program manager, spoke during an SRT media event in Pasadena, Calif. The 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 can go 0-60 mph in less than5 seconds, making it quicker than the Porsche Cayenne. The Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 costs $39,995, including $675 for destination. It arrives in showrooms in January. Here are some excerpts from that conversation:

Why an SRT version? “It’s a natural fit to put a four-wheel-drive vehicle in the SRT lineup. We wanted to see what we could put to the pavement. With the Grand Cherokee, we took the next step, trying to use all the power we could.We weren’t looking at the concept of an off-road vehicle, but to go as fast as we can (with the Grand Cherokee SRT8).

Who are potential customers? Drivers aren’t going to go the top speed, but they want to go fast from stoplight to stoplight. With towing capacity at 3,500 pounds, it’s not viewed as a tow vehicle, but a daily driver. Still, we wanted to make sure it had some utility—we still have to validate it as a Jeep vehicle.

Who are the main competitors? Our main competitors are the Porsche Cayenne, Chevy TrailBlazer SS and Range Rover. It’s a growing segment."

Old 06-11-2007, 02:18 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: DCXgageman

I found this fron Dec. 2, 2005 on our internal company web site. I knew you could tow with them. I have no idea what type of hitch it would use, dealer may (doubtful though) be able to help.

A conversation about Jeep® Grand Cherokee SRT8

In October, John Cathcart, Jeep® Grand Cherokee SRT8 program manager, spoke during an SRT media event in Pasadena, Calif. The 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 can go 0-60 mph in less than5 seconds, making it quicker than the Porsche Cayenne. The Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 costs $39,995, including $675 for destination. It arrives in showrooms in January. Here are some excerpts from that conversation:

Why an SRT version? “It’s a natural fit to put a four-wheel-drive vehicle in the SRT lineup. We wanted to see what we could put to the pavement. With the Grand Cherokee, we took the next step, trying to use all the power we could.We weren’t looking at the concept of an off-road vehicle, but to go as fast as we can (with the Grand Cherokee SRT8).

Who are potential customers? Drivers aren’t going to go the top speed, but they want to go fast from stoplight to stoplight. With towing capacity at 3,500 pounds, it’s not viewed as a tow vehicle, but a daily driver. Still, we wanted to make sure it had some utility—we still have to validate it as a Jeep vehicle.

Who are the main competitors? Our main competitors are the Porsche Cayenne, Chevy TrailBlazer SS and Range Rover. It’s a growing segment."
Well, that's funny considering the website says its not recommended. Not to mention, that article is almost 2 years old now.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:18 PM
DrivenWS6

Thats perfect, I wouldnt be pulling more than 3500 pounds anyways just a 350 pound quad.

Yeah if I was going to pulling something every week and pulling 5 or 6 thousand pounds then sure I'd get a truck or whatever. But for what I'm going to be doing theres no need for that and dont want one.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:01 AM
MoparMJM
Record Breaker

You can tow with it.... you can tow with anything.

Just either re-route the exhaust or get a drop hitch.

Old 06-12-2007, 05:48 AM
DrivenWS6

Yeah I have a friend that builds and installs hitches for a living so I would just have him make me a drop hitch of some sort cause I like the center mount exhaust.

Old 07-07-2007, 05:59 PM
M Shark
Professional

Quick Reply: Possible to put Hitch on SRT8