Jeeps The tough off road capability of ANY Jeep model from the Wrangler to the fully loaded Grand Cherokee keeps this cousin of Dodge the king of every hill.

79 cj-5

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 12:01 AM
ivaskaj
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 79 cj-5

Does $1,200 sound like an OK price for a '79 military CJ-5? It's pretty rusty, but no gaping holes or anything. Supposedly it's got Dana 30s, a T150 3spd and a Dana 20 transfer case with a fresh 258. It has a metal roof and doors with roll up windows. It starts right up when you turn the key, no smokes, rattles or knocks. Idles fine and pulls really well off the line. Transmission seems fine, not hard to get in/out of gear. Did the military models come with any beefed up components or lockers or anything special like that? How durable is this drivetrain if I put on a small lift and some 35s? It won't see any serious off-roading, just some muddy woods. Thanks.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:06 AM
bone33
Record Breaker
Default RE: 79 cj-5

first off, whoever told you its a military CJ5 is pulling your leg. the CJ series is a civi model. if it was a military model it would have a M designation.

second, the 258 onlyhas 98 HP and about 200 Ftlbs of torque.. something like that. im not looking it up . if you go and put 35's on there and then try to drive it anywhere, you are going to have to re-gear it to at least 4.73's. i would stick with 30 inch mud tiresas the biggest. now if this is going to be a woods only hunting beater, then you could go to a 32" tire and just leave the transfercase in 4LOW, you probably would have enough power to move around slowly.

another thing, the components that you listed are pretty common jeep parts, they are medium duty and are well suited for a jeep with stock engine power, up to a 304cid.

one more thing.... you do know that a CJ5 is pretty short, narrow, and if you make it taller, your gonna have problems keeping it on the wheels.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:11 PM
ivaskaj
Veteran

Well, the front driveshaft knocks against the starter something serious when you put it in 4wd, but it DOES spin the front tires. The LSD units seem to work too. I offered him $800 because of the front shaft issue and he accepted. I am now the proud new owner of my first jeep. Hopefully it's just a bent front driveshaft. At any rate, I can pull the motor and axels and get back the $800 if it's something major.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:36 PM
bone33
Record Breaker

well $800 is a good price for a non running jeep. you made out. the front driveshaft has a slip yoke in it, so it is possible for it to be sent and not pull apart, but to still spin and hit the starter as well, sounds strange. you can get someone to make you a driveshaft, or you can buy one brand new, for about $200 this is a great place to start looking for parts http://www.4wd.com/

Old 07-14-2008, 05:27 PM
ivaskaj
Veteran

Well, today I got out there and saw a HUGE puddle of oil under it. I immediately thought the worst, but it actually helped me find the problem w/ the drive shaft. The passenger side motor mount is toast, which is causing the motor to sag way to the right, which causes the drive shaft to knock the starter. I got it stuck in the back yard the other day, and when I was rocking it back and forth cussing the broken 4x4 trying to get un stuck, I guess all that torqueing on the motor mount poked a hole in the oil filter. Fortunately I only lost about a quart, cuz I could still see oil on the dip stick. I'm getting some new motor mounts as soon as I can find my tow strap and get it out of the mud hole. I guess I should have known better than to go in the woods w/o 4x4 after a monsoon like rain storm. LOL

Old 07-14-2008, 09:02 PM
bone33
Record Breaker

jeeps in 2 wheel drive even with a locker suck *****. you will learn that one real quick. mine wont go anywhere in 2wd in the snow either. it just sits n spins on the smallest of hills, but when i put it in 4wd it goes like a raped ape. im running a 4 inch lift, 32 inch M/T's, 3.73 gears, locked rear, 4.0 HO, 5speed,92 wrangler with over 160k on it and i love it. i bought it brand new in 91.

you will love yours too. they grow on ya.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:01 PM
ivaskaj
Veteran

Yes, I see this. Right now it's looking like i will be replacing that motor mount down in the woods because i can't see putting on a new oil filter only to have it get tore up again. Oh well. I'm sure I will love this thing, even though it's going to need a lot of work. I have to buy some sort of building first so I have some place to work. Living in a house with no garage sucks. I'd move into my own place, but living at home with no bills is too nice.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:56 PM
bone33
Record Breaker

sounds like you live out in the boondocks, so if thats true, you could get a lil used crappy pup trailer, take it off the axles and put in a few lights and you have an instant garage. they are 9 feet wide and 24feet long. not tons of room width wise, but long enough for all your **** and out of the sun and rain. you could put a window ac unit in too.

if not, then get an some conduit and make some bows and cover that with a tarp and you will have instant shelter. as long as your neighbors dont bitch about it being an eyesore, you are set.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:22 PM
ivaskaj
Veteran

Eh, not really in the boondocks. It's a subdivision but it's older so the trees have grown back, and all the homes are on at least 2 acres. I just replaced the motor mount today, but I don't think that was the only issue w/ the 4x4. The drive shaft doesn't hit the starter any more, but I got hung up on a log out back and only the back wheels were spinning when I had it in 4low. tried 4 hi and nothing there either. I don't know what to check for now. Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:40 PM
bone33
Record Breaker

did you lock in the hubs?

Quick Reply: 79 cj-5