Jeeps The tough off road capability of ANY Jeep model from the Wrangler to the fully loaded Grand Cherokee keeps this cousin of Dodge the king of every hill.

New mods on the way

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 04:12 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default New mods on the way

Ordered a set of four 2" coil spacers from Fat Bob's Garage the other day, supposed to arrive today, so I ran out and picked up some ProComp 3000 shocks, 2" over sized.

Had originally planned to do this install myself, but got a really great price from a local 4x4 shop, so I'm having them do it.

$90 bucks in the spacers, shocks were on special buy 3 get 1 free so they were only $120. Installation is going to be $120. So for under $350 plus the cost of alignment, I'll have a 2" lift on the Jeep.

Will post pics when it's done...

Now for tires. Stock tire size is about 29" and I'll be able to clear 31" tires after the lift, 31.5s if I want to trim a little wheel well. I'd love to put a set of Mickey Thompson ATZs or Nitto Terra Grapplers on it, but the funds aren't there. So I'm thinking either BFG Rugged Trails or General Grabber AT2s on it...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 07-30-2009 at 04:59 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:27 PM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right on. Make sure to post pics when you get it back. What kind of spacers are they? Daystars?

If I remember right, It takes quite a bit of lift to fit any kind of decent sized tire on the WJ's. Although 31" suonds about right.

PS.. Is WJ the right code, I cant remember now.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:28 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

UPDATE: Coil spacers and shocks are on, alignment done. 2" is just enough to give it a good, aggressive stance.
Gonna try to get tires before hunting season, although I usually use the truck to deer, hog and duck hunt, for obvious reasons, I'll prolly use the Jeep for at least dove season. So I'm gonna want a tire with a better ply rating than my current BFG Long Trails.
I'll try to get some pics over the weekend...

Old 07-31-2009, 11:15 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Double post fail, lol.

You know which tires I am pulling for.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:59 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

As promised:

Name:  HPIM3008.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  130.4 KB

Name:  HPIM3007.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  123.2 KB

For comparison, before the lift:

Last edited by HammerZ71; 08-02-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:01 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jr. Mechanic
Double post fail, lol.

You know which tires I am pulling for.
Well Jr., 'fraid I may have to disappoint you. Got a buddy in Ga. with a tire/repair shop can get me a killer deal on Sumitomo A/Ts and they seem to have good reviews. $480 mounted, balanced out the door in the 265/65/17 size I want. I can't pass that deal up...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 08-02-2009 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:21 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Awesome Hammer. I've heard good things about the Sumitomo's they just aren't as aggressive as the AT2's or the BFG A/T's.

So, how's it ride? I know after I put my BB on, It the ride was a little more harsh, but I'm still running stock shocks. I bet it feels good to be up a little bit while driving. After being in your truck then jumping into that it probably felt like a sports car.

I'm putting new axles into my ZJ here in a few weeks and I'm still debating on shocks. Really leaning towards BD's, but I'm considering Pro Comps and Rancho's as well.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:36 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

The ride is really good, but it's hard to compare since my stock shocks were shot, especially the rears. Very happy with the ProComp 3000s so far.
A little more body lean on turns, nothing bad, just more than I'da figured only going up 2".

Yeah, I think that tire is gonna work out well, especially since I do 90% of my driving on pavement. Still a fairly aggressive tread though.
My real issue was I needed the ply rating, getting tired of pluggin the BFG Long Trails that are on there. Last 3 trips to the farm resulted in 2 plugs, plus one more on the highway while on vacation.
My last 3 trucks have made prolly a hundred trips to the farm and I've never had to plug a Mickey Thompson or Cepek tire.

Here's the Sumitomo:

Old 08-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
The ride is really good, but it's hard to compare since my stock shocks were shot, especially the rears. Very happy with the ProComp 3000s so far.
A little more body lean on turns, nothing bad, just more than I'da figured only going up 2".

Yeah, I think that tire is gonna work out well, especially since I do 90% of my driving on pavement. Still a fairly aggressive tread though.
My real issue was I needed the ply rating, getting tired of pluggin the BFG Long Trails that are on there. Last 3 trips to the farm resulted in 2 plugs, plus one more on the highway while on vacation.
My last 3 trucks have made prolly a hundred trips to the farm and I've never had to plug a Mickey Thompson or Cepek tire.

Here's the Sumitomo:

Anything is going to be a step up for me. I'm running STOCK (factory in 1993, 161,000 miles) shocks on the rear. They are absolutely shot. Then the fronts are cheap Gabriels. I honestly really didn't notice too much of a difference going up 2", but of course this could be because of the shocks.

And yeah those tires should suit you nicely. White wall or black out?

Old 08-02-2009, 04:52 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Raised whites, only option in that size. Yeah I think they'll do, the truck still gets most the off road use, but it's just I have my ATV, boat and stuff up there all the time now. Don't really need to take the truck up except for Deer and Hog huntin trips.
So I just needed something a little better than what's on there and the little bit of lift for going thru wet, plowed fields mostly.

ProComp shocks are buy 3 get one, at 4 Wheel Parts. The 3000s netted out to $26 and change a shock. Made by Tenneco, same company makes Rancho's and Monroe's. Figured at that price, couldn't go wrong...

Quick Reply: New mods on the way