Jeeps The tough off road capability of ANY Jeep model from the Wrangler to the fully loaded Grand Cherokee keeps this cousin of Dodge the king of every hill.

1996 cherokee 4.0 fuel problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 07:25 AM
sadiejane
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 cherokee 4.0 fuel problem

were can i get a wiring diagram for a 1996 cherokee,how can i ck to see if my fuel pump or wiring is bad?can i jump the relay to test?

Old 11-18-2012, 05:10 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sadiejane
were can i get a wiring diagram for a 1996 cherokee,how can i ck to see if my fuel pump or wiring is bad?can i jump the relay to test?
I think the 96 is OBD1, and if it is, I can most likely provide you with the wiring diagrams - they'd be for a '92, but not much would have changed. Send me a PM if that's the case, I don't visit this forum too often.

If you don't hear the pump, you can test for power at the relay & fuse, they're easier to get to than the wiring to the pump. I would test these points with a multi-meter, you should get power on that line for a few seconds after turning your key to ON, this is done to build up the pressure in the rail for the injectors when you attempt to start it. You'll get this few seconds each time you go from OFF to ON. If you do get 12 volts showing when you turn the key to ON but don't hear the pump, then you'll need to check at the pump connector.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:50 PM
sadiejane
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks anyway,i found the problem,it was the ground wire on the pump in the tank,i removed the pump an found i had a bad ground connection,cleaned it up an it works like new thanks anyway

Quick Reply: 1996 cherokee 4.0 fuel problem