Jeeps The tough off road capability of ANY Jeep model from the Wrangler to the fully loaded Grand Cherokee keeps this cousin of Dodge the king of every hill.

2002 jeep grand cherokee break problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 04:04 PM
tobra100
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 jeep grand cherokee break problem

The breaks on my jeep grand cherokee are very spongy. In a panic stop,
I have to step on the breaks with both feet. The Pads & Rotors are in good shape. Any suggestions? The car has 10500 miles Ray

Old 11-28-2012, 11:25 AM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you check the fluid level? From your description, I would say that you may have air in your brake lines (from lack of fluid or from having changed a component and let air into the line) and they should be bled. Another thing that could cause this type of performance is old/bad brake fluid. The fluid doesn't last forever and will collect water, every so often, the brake system should be flushed, re-filled with new fluid to get all the contaminents out, and properly bled to get all the air out. While you have things apart, have a close look at the calipers to ensure they open and close properly -the pistons or "slide bolts" could be partially seized. If this is the case, change the components before you flush and bleed, otherwise you'll need to re-bleed after the component change.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:18 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tobra100
The breaks on my jeep grand cherokee are very spongy. In a panic stop,
I have to step on the breaks with both feet. The Pads & Rotors are in good shape. Any suggestions? The car has 10500 miles Ray
I still for the life of me have never figured out why anyone would break their brakes.

I'd recommend bleeding your brakes or maybe upgrading to a better brake pad.

Quick Reply: 2002 jeep grand cherokee break problem