Jeeps The tough off road capability of ANY Jeep model from the Wrangler to the fully loaded Grand Cherokee keeps this cousin of Dodge the king of every hill.

No electrical power

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 08:36 PM
Tacoma John
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No electrical power

Need help, twice in one day my 1993 yj with 2.5l lost all power. No lights, no anything. First time went to start it did not do anything, played with bat cables and it did not help. About ten minutes in I heard a click and all power came back. I drove it for about 20 miles and check engine light came on and the voltmeter was reading a little high 5 miles into the trip. Got home and turned it off. Tried to turn it back on and nothing again. Removed cables and cleaned them and tightened them and still nothing. Heard click and all has been good since then, including check engine light going off. It has never stalled or had any other type of issues. In an other forum someone suggested maybe it was the ASD. From what I have read the ASD needs power from the ignition switch to work, which I had none. Could it be this nasty little relay, or should I look else where?

Last edited by Tacoma John; 10-30-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:31 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacoma John
Need help, twice in one day my 1993 yj with 2.5l lost all power. No lights, no anything. First time went to start it did not do anything, played with bat cables and it did not help. About ten minutes in I heard a click and all power came back. I drove it for about 20 miles and check engine light came on and the voltmeter was reading a little high 5 miles into the trip. Got home and turned it off. Tried to turn it back on and nothing again. Removed cables and cleaned them and tightened them and still nothing. Heard click and all has been good since then, including check engine light going off. It has never stalled or had any other type of issues. In an other forum someone suggested maybe it was the ASD. From what I have read the ASD needs power from the ignition switch to work, which I had none. Could it be this nasty little relay, or should I look else where?
In your boots, I'd get a wiring diagram and a multi-meter and see where I had power and where I didn't. If I suspected a relay, I'd check out the connectors and then the power IN to the relay. If there is none, I'd go back down the line to the ignition switch and check that out - again, I'd check the power IN to the switch & with power there, I'd see what the outputs were. Electrical problems don't have any magic answers, but to get the answers, all you need are simple tools and an understanding of how to use them. The wiring diagram is an essential component of your electrical diagnostic toolbox.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:56 PM
atthewmartin114
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

had the same issue with my 95 yj about 3 weeks ago on the trail but i wa running and didnt stall. the ground on the fire wall was loose and lost connection with body luckly the block was grounded with a diffwerent wire.

Quick Reply: No electrical power