Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge SUVs > Jeeps
Reload this Page >

2000 Cherokee 4.7 AWD reviews

Jeeps The tough off road capability of ANY Jeep model from the Wrangler to the fully loaded Grand Cherokee keeps this cousin of Dodge the king of every hill.

2000 Cherokee 4.7 AWD reviews

  #1  
Old 01-13-2014, 05:12 PM
Thornloe Pride's Avatar
Thornloe Pride
Thornloe Pride is offline
Captain
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ontario
Posts: 703
Default 2000 Cherokee 4.7 AWD reviews

Hello. Normally im found in the Ram sections but looking for some help for a friend. My buddy might be trading his four wheeler for a 2000 jeep Cherokee this weekend. It has the 4.7, 4 speed automatic (45RFE?) and it's awd. It has 170,000km (105 xxx miles) on it and the body is mint. I don't have any knowledge of these jeeps and it would be awesome if you guys could help me learn a little more. Are these transmissions a little iffy like the ones mated with the 5.2 and the 5.9? It's AWD but does it have the option of 4HI and 4LO? Are they typcally a good vehicle? Thanks again.
 
  #2  
Old 01-13-2014, 08:30 PM
MoparMan1991's Avatar
MoparMan1991
MoparMan1991 is offline
Record Breaker
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Barksdale AFB, LA
Posts: 2,213
Default

The 45RFE is a very solid transmission, and it's the exact same transmission used in the Rams (1500 w/ 6 speed). I had a 2001 Durango 4.7L 4x4 with the 45RFE. That year should in fact have a 45RFE, however, you can get access to a newer TCM with the 545RFE programming, or you may be able to have the current TCM flashed to the newer 545RFE programming.
 
  #3  
Old 01-14-2014, 03:10 PM
Thornloe Pride's Avatar
Thornloe Pride
Thornloe Pride is offline
Captain
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Ontario
Posts: 703
Default

Thanks. Any things to watch out with this motor/ tranny combo?
 
  #4  
Old 01-14-2014, 06:16 PM
MoparMan1991's Avatar
MoparMan1991
MoparMan1991 is offline
Record Breaker
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Barksdale AFB, LA
Posts: 2,213
Default

Originally Posted by Thornloe Pride View Post
Thanks. Any things to watch out with this motor/ tranny combo?

I never had any major issues with my 4.7, others may chime in. I do know that it's very common for the 4.7 to have a slight lifter tick. Other than that, I got nothing, mine was nearly bulletproof.


As far as the transmission, I did have the input/output sensors go bad on me, which resulted in the transmission going into limp mode. Those were a cheap and easy fix. I also had no major issues with my transmission.
 
  #5  
Old 05-03-2014, 02:19 PM
dodgister's Avatar
dodgister
dodgister is offline
Rookie
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 68
Default

At what price would he be trading? You said kilometers. Has it been driven in Europe? In a field or mountains areas? Price vs mileage would help to decide better.
 
  #6  
Old 05-03-2014, 03:16 PM
MoparMan1991's Avatar
MoparMan1991
MoparMan1991 is offline
Record Breaker
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Barksdale AFB, LA
Posts: 2,213
Default

Originally Posted by dodgister View Post
At what price would he be trading? You said kilometers. Has it been driven in Europe? In a field or mountains areas? Price vs mileage would help to decide better.

Hell even mileage doesn't mean much these days so long as the vehicle was properly maintained.
 
  #7  
Old 09-06-2014, 08:15 AM
matt-man's Avatar
matt-man
matt-man is offline
Registered User
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 5
Default

Originally Posted by Thornloe Pride View Post
Hello. Normally im found in the Ram sections but looking for some help for a friend. My buddy might be trading his four wheeler for a 2000 jeep Cherokee this weekend. It has the 4.7, 4 speed automatic (45RFE?) and it's awd. It has 170,000km (105 xxx miles) on it and the body is mint. I don't have any knowledge of these jeeps and it would be awesome if you guys could help me learn a little more. Are these transmissions a little iffy like the ones mated with the 5.2 and the 5.9? It's AWD but does it have the option of 4HI and 4LO? Are they typcally a good vehicle? Thanks again.
The 545rfe was used in Jeeps with the 4.7. The 45rfe was used in Jeep with the 4.0. It's basically the same tranny just with an extra gear. As long as I have owned both of my Jeeps, I've never had a problem (I own both the 45rfe and 545rfe versions)
 
  #8  
Old 09-06-2014, 11:56 PM
MoparMan1991's Avatar
MoparMan1991
MoparMan1991 is offline
Record Breaker
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Barksdale AFB, LA
Posts: 2,213
Default

Originally Posted by matt-man View Post
The 545rfe was used in Jeeps with the 4.7. The 45rfe was used in Jeep with the 4.0. It's basically the same tranny just with an extra gear. As long as I have owned both of my Jeeps, I've never had a problem (I own both the 45rfe and 545rfe versions)
Actually it still has the same number of gears, it's just that the 545RFE uses an extra planetary gear that the 45RFE doesn't utilize.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 Cherokee 4.7 AWD reviews


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: