Jeeps The tough off road capability of ANY Jeep model from the Wrangler to the fully loaded Grand Cherokee keeps this cousin of Dodge the king of every hill.
View Poll Results: A poll
Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 liter V8
17.24%
Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 liter V8
51.72%
Dodge Durango 4.7 liter V8
6.90%
Dodge Durango 5.7 liter V8
20.69%
Ford Explorer 4.6 liter V8
0%
Chevrolet Trailblazer 5.3 liter V8
3.45%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Which would you recommend

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 10:14 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Which would you recommend

I have a relative that is in the market for an SUV. They are Ford people and have owned some GMs in the past. They are thinking about a Ford Explorer. I have talked to people that have had transmission, 4WD, eletrical, and other reliability problems with the Explorers. I have known a few people that have had Grand Cherokees and the only real problems I have heard have been about the Quadra-Drive, the air conditioners, and some other electrical problems. I do not know very many with the Durango nor the Trailblazers, but I would trust the Durango and not the Trailblazer. What do you think? I would like to hear specific reliability problems with all of them, real life fuel mileage averages with which engines, and your advice for each of them. Thank you!

Old 11-28-2005, 10:25 PM
ViperGTS
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which would you recommend

Ford Explorer 4.6 liter V8
Tell them not to buy the Ford Explorer. From personal use, I know the Ford Explorer is an absolute nightmare mechanically. Our transmission, lighting, airconditioning, and four wheel drive had to be fixed. My dad also knew a Ford CEO from Texas who bought an Explorer because they offer them dirt cheap to employees. Less then 200 miles later as he was driving it home, it broke down.

Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 liter V8
As much as I like jeep vehicles, I don't think the Grand Cherokee would be a reliable suv. The ratings on it were horrible, it got a black circle aka worst possible reliability. It also scored worst for interior and looks compared to other suv's in the same price range. Another problem is that since 2005 is its first year for the newer model. First year is always bad.

Dodge Durango 5.7 liter V8
I would recommend the Durango. From what I know, I think Dodge has eliminated the only main problem with them, which was with the tires falling off. The Hemi would offer plently of power with plenty of space inside. The Durango's seem like fairly reliable suv's as well, there's several first gen's everywhere.

-Matt-

Old 11-29-2005, 07:04 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker

Thank you for the honest information about the Grand Cherokee and the Explorer, Matt. I know the Grand Cherokee has a worse reputation than the Durango. The Durango was already my top recommended pick. The price of a Durango is much better than that of a Grand Cherokee in terms of bang-for-your buck. My next question to you is would the 4.7L SOHC V8 be a reliable engine choice? They are not wealthy by any extent of the imagination. They probably would not want the HEMI because acceleration is not near as big an issue as price. They would expect this to last beyond 200,000 miles with minimal powertrain problems. Which engine will last better in your opinion?

Old 11-30-2005, 12:15 PM
ViperGTS
Banned

Any Suv lasting 200,000 miles with minimal problems probably won't happen unless they check it regularly. I'd suggest the 4.7L then is acceleration isn't the goal. What about the Magnum?

-Matt-

Old 11-30-2005, 05:52 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker

Although I think the Magnum is a great vehicle and probably a better choice than any of these, they stated that they want an SUV. I am trying to talk them into a Magnum, but part of the reason why they want an SUV might be the shape of the road that they drive on. They live in the country in northwestern Missouri (their farmers) where the roads are twisty, hilly, very snowy in the winter, and in bad shape. Would the Magnum be high enough off the ground to be safe from these problems?

Their past vehicles have been a 1985 LTD stationwagon with over 300,000 miles (a 5.0L V8 I think) and a 1994 Mercury Grand Marquire (4.6L V8) with over 200,000 miles, no major problems with either (I'm shocked by this). They take very good care of their vehicles.

They also stated that they would like a V8 in a brand new vehicle. My primary concerns though with recommending the HEMI is the MDS. Do you think it will last at least 200,000 miles without any problems? I believe in the 3.5L after owning a car with one and seeing enough with high mileage, but I 'm not sure if they want it. Another concern I have with the Magnum is the Mercedes parts such as the transmission and AWD system (they want with 4X4 or AWD). Can they last 200,000 miles without problems?

Old 12-05-2005, 03:56 PM
Deviousin10tions
Professional

I only chose the Cherokee 5.7 because the SRT-8 wasn't on the list.

Old 12-11-2005, 05:24 PM
ViperGTS
Banned

What do they think of the 2006 Commander?

-Matt-

Old 12-12-2005, 07:26 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker

Haven't asked yet. I'm a little nervous about recommending vehicles that just came out for the reasons of first year bugs. Would the Commander have the same issues as the Grand Cherokee does since it is based off of the GC's platform? I would think they would go for a Durango first before a Commander since the Durango is larger and I believe it is less expensive to get a 4.7L in a Durango than it is to get a 4.7L in a Commander. I believe that the Commander works to where you have to purchase a package to get a 4.7L whereas you do not have to with the Durango (or at least one that does not contain quite as many luxury options as you have to purchase with the Commander). It wouldn't be a bad idea either though. Good point, Matt!

Old 12-17-2005, 02:04 AM
clean_sx
Record Breaker

Well, if your roads are as bad as mine, i would go with the GC 5.7. And to reference what my roads are like, i just got a foot and a half of snow today, and i am set for another half foot next week. and my roads arent usualy plowed. i have an sx2.0. but i also have a GC5.7L. it is awesome going through 3 feet of snow!

Old 12-27-2005, 05:08 PM
stump_breaker
Captain

Well out of your list I would look at the Trailblazer first but only with the LTZ package (I think that's the letters).

After that it's a toss up between the Durango or the GC.

I would never recommend a Ford to anyone unless it's got a very nice rebate and great warranty.

Personally I would test drive, test drive and then test drive some more. Look for the best warranty - which I think all are 3/36 now unless you get a 2005 D/C product then it should still have a 7/70 on it although some dealerships offer a 5/50 extended on 2006 D/C products for "free". IMO, excluding the Ford, thay are all pretty equal as far as SUV's go. I really don't like the direction D/C has gone with the GC though - too carish.

If they can wait until 2007, they might look at the 4 door Wrangler. The 4.0 is gone but the 3.7 will be a decent powerplant although the low end torque is gone. It's taking on some Libberty lines though. It's going to be more universally friendly to include a wider array of drivers.

Quick Reply: Which would you recommend