Jeeps The tough off road capability of ANY Jeep model from the Wrangler to the fully loaded Grand Cherokee keeps this cousin of Dodge the king of every hill.

ECM swap 01durango 4.7 into 01 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 02:22 AM
MyHeapOjeep
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECM swap 01durango 4.7 into 01 Jeep Grand Cherokee

So I have used an ECM from a 4.7 lt Dakota to start and drive a 4.7 lt Jeep Grand Cherokee. However it did not have any gauges and the interior components like windows did not work. I’m going to purchase an 01 Durango with a 4.7 and put it into a 01 JGC is there a way to make the ECM from the Durante work in the Jeep? Can I switch pins or BCM’s or is it a lost cause and I need to switch wiring harness and ECM form Dakota to Jeep.

Old 09-07-2020, 08:43 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,189 Likes on 2,942 Posts

I think you would be much better off getting the correct PCM for the Jeep.......

Old 10-24-2020, 11:47 AM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

I remember a swap of ECMs but I thought it went the other way... GC into other Dodge products because of the trans shift program.
I have a 360 powered 01 Durango so the swap wouldnt apply, because they never put the 5 speed auto in with the 360 (5.9)
That said, my original ECM started doing stupid things. so I went to the junkyard and found another one from another 360 powered '01 Durango It would start-and die-start-and-die-start-and-die. Before i could even get my hand off the key switch upon releasing it to start. If you have a gray headed key the ECM has to be programmed to your VIN, to work. stupid damned SKIM programming not allowing it to run.
so I had to send the junkyard ECM out to be reprogrammed. If you have the regular plain black headed key it should be plug and play. Both the donor and the recipient have to have had teh same kind of key for it to be plug and play.
I had heard somewhere that any 01+ Chrysler product HAS to have the computer reprogrammed or you get what I did, that you only have hope of plug and play on 00 and older.

I had a similar thing to you on a 97 Cherokee. was having a problem that I suspected the computer. I popped one in from a 96 as a test. It solved the problem I was chasing but like you I had no gauges with the 96 plugged into the 97.

I have swapped computers around on earlier 90s stuff (before OBDII) and being "a year off" one way or the other between the computer chosen and the vehicle needing one, was less of an issue.

Quick Reply: ECM swap 01durango 4.7 into 01 Jeep Grand Cherokee