K-Cars The generation of cars that will forever live in infamy. The glorious K-car.

V6 Spirit not wanting to run

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 10:18 AM
spirit_broke_down
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V6 Spirit not wanting to run

hello, I have a 93 spirit that I was driving back from a 300mile road trip and it bogged down and started missing and now it wont start. It will run for a few seconds but is hard running and seams to be missing.

I installed a new distributor cap, checked the codes and the only code I had was a 24 TPS sensor out of voltage range.

I cant see that would cause it to not run at all.

I wanted to check the timing but I can not find the timing marks on the fly wheel?

The car has 60,000 miles on it.

Old 01-04-2016, 05:18 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Timing marks are on the Crank Pulley on the front of the engine (passenger side). The upper timing cover can be pulled quite easily to check the cam timing.
A faulty TPS will cause it to run very rough, sometimes causes it to not stay running if it will start, as the vehicle uses TPS signal to adjust idle.
I would start by checking the TPS wiring, I've had a couple where the wiring to the TPS was shot.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:28 PM
spirit_broke_down

Thank you for your reply. I figured out that the main culprit was the gas. I had measured the resistance on the TPS sensor and it seemed to be good. I changed out the fuel filter and checked for gas from the line. there was no gas. I put more gas in it (gas guage showing incorrectly) and primed the line and it fired up. I still want to check the timing. I found one mark on the lower fly wheel and I marked it with white paint.

Does that sound correct? would the mark be reading zero at idle? I plan on purchasing a timing light from china freight.

Also when I took off the fuel filter I must of hit the steel line and made pin holes in it. do you think I can cut the bad section and put rubber for now?

Old 01-13-2016, 05:42 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker

With the CTS hooked up likely. To check the timing you unplug the coolant temp sensor. Your base timing should check out at 12* advanced at idle with the sensor unplugged.

I would advise against putting rubber line over the steel as this is a high pressure system.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:14 PM
spirit_broke_down

Ok, do I have to remove the cover to properly check the timing? how much pressure do you think it is running at on the fuel line?

Old 01-14-2016, 07:10 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker

No, to check ignition timing: Unplug the coolant temp sensor, hook up the timing light, shine it at the crank pulley. It should light up the timing mark on the crank and you should be able to see the timing marks on the little metal timing piece on the engine. It should check out at 12* advanced.

The system runs 48lbs at idle IIRC, but that's regulated at the engine. IIRC, my car's pump ran like 80psi at the pump.

Quick Reply: V6 Spirit not wanting to run