K-Cars The generation of cars that will forever live in infamy. The glorious K-car.

1993 Shadow pilot bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 11:55 PM
dominicheim83
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 Shadow pilot bearing?

Hey. New here. But not new to the shadow. Anyways. I'm swapping out my auto tranny for a 5 speed manual from a donor car. Big project but worth it. So I have the manual trans, clutch and flywheel out but there is not a traditional pilot bearing. Instead there is a plastic bushing. It's pretty beat up and I don't want to reuse it. It doesn't look like it's use for anything but aligning the clutch. My new clutch kit didn't come with one. So now I have to reuse it. Just wondering if I'm missing something or is the plastic bushing the "pilot bearing"? If so does someone know a part number. Thanks everyone.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:36 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Assuming you also have the shift cables, manual shifter assembly, and pedal assembly?
I converted my Acclaim (relative) to a manual. It wasn't a bad job, did it in a weekend. You will need a pilot bushing as it keeps the trans shaft aligned with the engine.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:51 PM
dominicheim83

Yeah I have all the cables, pedal assembly and shifter assembly. Had to cut the shock at the back of the trans though. To rusted. The bolt just crumbled. So I need to get that. You don't happen to know a part number on that bushing do you?

Old 04-11-2016, 04:23 PM
dominicheim83

Just an update. Went to the local dodge dealership. They could not find that pilot bushing on there parts program. It's like it never existed. The exploded view does not show it. He did find the part number for the trans strut but the part has been discontinued. Napa cross referenced the number with there parts and the don't carry it. I found it on ebay for $20 buck though. Just have to wait for it now. I'm thinking about having the machinist at my work make me a bushing.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:07 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker

I can't seem to find one anywhere either, I tried crossing with all the 3.0/manual cars and came up empty.
For the bobble strut I would have suggested getting a solid one from http://kmperformance.com/index2.html as they help keep everything from moving. I would also suggest poly motor and trans mounts. These combined will help put the power to the ground a lot. They can be found here http://polybushings.com/pages/moparmounts.html

Old 04-12-2016, 03:39 PM
dominicheim83

Thanks for the info. This shadow is going to be the work and back car for the next 5 years or so. 80 miles round trip. So not to worried about getting the power to the ground. Going for dependability with this one. I might need the solid wobble strut for the next shadow.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:08 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dominicheim83
Thanks for the info. This shadow is going to be the work and back car for the next 5 years or so. 80 miles round trip. So not to worried about getting the power to the ground. Going for dependability with this one. I might need the solid wobble strut for the next shadow.
I went solid mounts on my car. It was my daily driver/toy. I loved the response and direct feel with the solid mounts, and they keep everything in alignment which equals less drivetrain wear.
I would get some diff savers or upgrade to a 568 gearset, as the manuals are prone to diff failure, which will lead to the destruction of your trans. I had this happen to mine twice, granted I was putting somewhere around 2x the factory power to the ground on the 2nd one.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:41 PM
dominicheim83

Nice.

Old 05-08-2016, 10:11 AM
dominicheim83

Okay. Just finished the swap. The answer to the pilot bushing question is the A523 trans does not need a pilot bushing. The end of the input shaft is splines so there is no smooth surface for one to ride in.
I am having a problem getting the cat to start and run with the manual ecu. It will turn over but doesn't start. It runs fine with the ecu from the auto but I hear it shifts and runs better with the one from the manual. I'm sure it's something simply but I can't figure it out.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:25 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker

Do you have the Clutch safety switch wired or bypassed?
It either needs to be wired as factory (which will allow you to keep your cruise control), or bypassed to ground for the car to start.

Quick Reply: 1993 Shadow pilot bearing?