Members Rides This section is for the members to show off their vehicles. Please read the rules before posting.

My 2009 Brilliant Black Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 10:24 AM
Infi75
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chet Ubetcha
Hi!

I'm getting ready to move to Kaiserslautern and we are really torn on which vehicle to ship at the moment. I've been to Stuttgart (and driven all around Germany) before and, honestly, I'm not sure I would want my big dumb truck over there... just *too* big. How do you get around in the new Ram? I've got an '05 and I know I wouldn't be able to take it very many places due to the small streets and roads. Of course, my wife would get something more practical if we ship the truck, but I'm just afraid that I'll get over there and not really be able to use it much. I had a little Mercedes A Class last time I was there, and there were STILL places I felt too big for!

Aside from the "WOW" factor of heads turning, how does that big truck do over there?
The RAM does pretty well here in Germany, but as you mentioned, in some cases it is simply too big.

If you go shopping at a supermarket there is normally no problem with parking, even if the parking space for one car is only about 5 meters long.
But if you like to park in a parking garage somewhere in a town, there is no chance to get in.
In most cases 2 meters is the maximum height, and the RAM is also to long to turn around in the parking garage.
Last year i spent my holidays in California, there it was no problem to go to parking garage by Pick Up or Fullsize SUV that was great, but here in Germany that´s a problem.

I think i live in the wrong country

But we have a small car in family, so that is not a real problem.

There other point is the gas price here in Germany. At the moment its about 1,40-1,45 Euro per liter.
So its a big difference if you drive a RAM with about 14MPG or a Mercedes A class or something like that with about 30-35MPG.

But if i drive my RAM all these things can´t annoy me

Greetings from Germany
Florian

Old 05-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the reply. That's about as I expected. I've got some personal physical issues, so I'm not a big fan of "parking and walking". I'd be able to fuel up on the base, so local fuel prices aren't that big of a concern, but I don't think I could live with the inconvenience of something that big over there. Wish I could...

What are the vehicle regulations there as far as exhaust noise/emissions, ride hight (lift) and other safety requirements (like additional fender turn markers and such)? I just got in and drove what I had before; it was a rental. So, I'm not really sure what all I'd be looking at as far as modifying/returning to stock for any vehicle, not just the truck.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:18 PM
Infi75

Originally Posted by Chet Ubetcha
Thanks for the reply. That's about as I expected. I've got some personal physical issues, so I'm not a big fan of "parking and walking". I'd be able to fuel up on the base, so local fuel prices aren't that big of a concern, but I don't think I could live with the inconvenience of something that big over there. Wish I could...

What are the vehicle regulations there as far as exhaust noise/emissions, ride hight (lift) and other safety requirements (like additional fender turn markers and such)? I just got in and drove what I had before; it was a rental. So, I'm not really sure what all I'd be looking at as far as modifying/returning to stock for any vehicle, not just the truck.
Hi!

Normally a car from the US has to be modified to meet german vehicle regulations.
For example yellow runniglights are not allowed, they have to be white, the rear turn signals have to be yellow not red and so on.
On my opinion it´s all sh...
It works in the US, why not in Germany?

Most of the guys here in Germany modify their RAMs with parts from the US, e.g. lift kits, mufflers, wheels, trainhorns and so on.
Normally all these parts are not allowed, if they were not tested from the german TUV (a Association for Technical Inspection) to meet all regulations.
Anyway everybody uses these parts

Normally it´s no problem, only if your exhaust is much too loud, german police didn´t like that.

I know it from guys from the US army, they have no problems with their cars here in Germany. It´s ok if their cars meet US vehicle regulations.
Only if your car should be registered in Germany it has to meet german vehicle regualtions.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:12 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah, that's kinda what I thought. I would REALLY love to bring my truck. I just dont' think it's going to happen, though. I've already made arrangements for my sister to keep it (and all my guns, too ) in her barn. I'm sure she'll drive it more than she lets on, so it will be well taken care of.

The exhaust is kind of loud, so I'm a little concerned about that. Not to mention having to modify the other aspects, as well. I think I'll just end up getting a beater over there. What is the availability of four wheel drive vehicles over there, like Toyotas or Jeeps or the like? Are there many areas to even GO off-road and play with a 4x4? I was mostly in cities when I was there last in '03.

My wife wants a new Jeep Wrangler here. That could be fun. I'm going to have to find something that I enjoy driving for a few years when I get there. Maybe we can even get together sometime and you can let me hug your Ram...

Thanks again for the info!

Old 05-29-2010, 08:39 AM
BROBISACUMMIN

that is sharp.very interesting driving it there I am sure. How does it handle the narrow back roads?

Old 05-31-2010, 02:41 PM
Dunno207
Professional

Nice truck man, I've always been a fan of ARE's caps, and tunnel covers. They always follow the curves of the dodges perfect.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:47 PM
hogrider09
Rookie

Nice set up. i really like the wheels. I looked at the pearl black, just gets to dirty easy. I settlled for charcoal. U did a nice job.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:04 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

i want a 4th gen...love the looks of those

Old 12-02-2010, 11:03 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Love the look of the truck. And thats one helluva friend you got over here

Quick Reply: My 2009 Brilliant Black Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4