Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

i think my turbo has a problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007 | 05:38 PM
MAssSrTdriven
|
Professional
Default i think my turbo has a problem

well, everytime i take off in low rpms from gears my car makes a god awful grinding noise, always thought it was my synchros because sometimes you can feel it grind into gear, in 3rd. and when you dont use the brakes while decelerating and just cruise it makes this awful grinding, is it possible there is backpressure spinning my turbo the wrong way or something? and last night i happened to just sit there in the car with it idling and give it a couple quick revs, and i could hear the grinding noise, soudns like its under my hood right near the turbo, so i got out and listened and right near the turbo or slightly left of it you can hear a noise like something is in the turbo clanking around, or something. possible bent turbo fins? or i dont understand how the hell something would have gotten in there but idk..any help on this will be great

Old 03-31-2007 | 06:24 PM
rare04
Professional
Default RE: i think my turbo has a problem

Take the intake off and reach inside the trubo and see if the wheel is loose at all.

Old 03-31-2007 | 08:59 PM
flameredsrt
Veteran

ORIGINAL: rare04

Take the intake off and reach inside the trubo and see if the wheel is loose at all.
please make sure the vehicle is turned off when you try this.

Old 04-02-2007 | 03:48 AM
Pressurecooker
Record Breaker

Ha Ha, yeah good catch Flame! Probably saved a life. LOL
Yeah with the engine off, take off the intake tube, stick fingers into theturbo, spin the impeller. It should spin freely and smoothly and quietly. If you grab the center shaft, you can actually move it up/down and side to side ever so slightlybut not much and certainly not enough to make the impeller blades contact the housing.
My guess is a transmission/clutch problem, not a turbo problem.

Old 04-08-2007 | 07:32 PM
MAssSrTdriven
|
Professional

well, i just tested this method out, i pulled off the intake tube, and moved the center shaft in the turbo and that shaft is so loose that i can actually make the fins touch the walls of the turbo housing, i dont think its suppose to be that loose?>

Old 04-08-2007 | 07:35 PM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator

^uhh... no

Old 04-08-2007 | 07:55 PM
MAssSrTdriven
|
Professional

well then what shall i do??????? obviosuly have it tightened? but now i fear that after all the wear and this whole time of it being like this that the turbo is prolly junk by now anyways, the noise just keeps getting louder and worse......time to just buy a new turbo or try to get the dealer to warrenty this seeins how i just hit 9,800

Old 04-08-2007 | 08:10 PM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator

only 9800??? do you have any mods they may bitch about?

I would drop that **** off at the dealer the minute they open.

Old 04-08-2007 | 10:25 PM
djmagic
Record Breaker

Any mods then try to take it off real quick and put them on when you get it back

Old 04-08-2007 | 11:55 PM
MAssSrTdriven
|
Professional

all i got is an underglow kit on it, everything else is bone stock, o and a sound system in there however i dont think they can bitch about the system, ill just flip the seats up, it came with an aftermarket stereo in it when i bought it, i changed that up a bit tho, and the lights i guess they could bitch but i dont see y, everything else is bone *** stock....i have a feeling they are gunna try and nail me with normal wear and tear...

Quick Reply: i think my turbo has a problem