Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

fluttering air

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007 | 01:37 AM
chrisscoot
Default fluttering air

okay i have a 2004 srt 4 with mopar stg 1 and mopar bov i also have the mopar cai . well lately ive been noticing that when i hit the gas lets say about half the pedal i can hear my cold air intake sucking in air which is normal i know but about half the time itll start to flutter ( sounds like it keeps stopping then starting sucking in air ) but then when i put my foot to the floor itll stop . just wondering if any one has any ideas what it may be . I alreday checkeed air filter its clean and attached

Old 05-30-2007 | 01:53 AM
05SRTStage3
Professional
Default RE: fluttering air

I am not sure but I think that the fluttering air you hear my be boost leaking from your BOV. And the sound will stop when you floor it because your are no longer sucking air the turbo is forcing air and not sucking it from the intake.

Old 05-30-2007 | 06:18 AM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator

its common with the CAI to be able to hear the 'flutter' sound a little more. if you are at certain RPM range and you let off the throttle you can hear it well. its just the sound of the turbo blades spinning, amplified by your CAI to be more noticable.
now there is a different kid of flutter sound... which is a little more problematic as mentioned above.
can you be a little more specific of when you are actually hearing the sound?

^and when your under boost you are actually sucking even more air from the intake, as the turbo is forcing more air through the system.

Old 05-30-2007 | 08:09 PM
Plan B
Captain

Sounds like PTB (Part Throttle Boost), which is actually 'overboost'. It is where the turbo is pushing more air into the engine than it needs at that rpm I believe. Do a search for PTB and you will find hours of literature on the subject. No way to get rid of it (at least on stock turbo). Best way to 'fix' it is to stay out of the rpm range when it does it....

Old 05-30-2007 | 11:03 PM
chrisscoot

okay so ptb it could be but my only other question is its just started happening in the last couple day or at least it hasnt been loud enough for me to notice it before . i just dont understand why it would all of a sudden be getting louder the only thing thats changed latley has been the weather could that be why its louder now?

Old 05-31-2007 | 04:58 PM
Plan B
Captain

You will see higher boost levels in warmer weather (cold air is more condensed/more O2 so the car uses less boost to hit the same burn rate). With this in mind there is more air flowing through your system which would make everything louder. On the other hand, you may have a boost leak as well. Hard to say. Besides the stg1, are you running a wastegate actuater or anything boost-control related?

Old 05-31-2007 | 11:49 PM
chrisscoot

no all i have is stg 1 nothin else boost related . weird thing though today when i was drivin i noticed that im pushing about 20 boost in evrey gear and car seems to be hesitating alot more then normal when i hit the gas . could this possible be from boost leak because im planning on getting rid of my mopar bov and going back to stock anyways .

Old 06-01-2007 | 12:36 AM
tyler819
Veteran

i have that same flutter noise and it comes out of the intake just about everytime i let off the gas wen it is in vaccuum. is that normal or is it something else. the noise comes from the filter on the injen short ram intake.

Old 06-01-2007 | 06:29 AM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator

just think bout it, the intake is all fairly thing metal as opposed to stock plastic. its going to be more conductive of sound

Old 06-01-2007 | 05:08 PM
Plan B
Captain

ORIGINAL: tyler819

i have that same flutter noise and it comes out of the intake just about everytime i let off the gas wen it is in vaccuum. is that normal or is it something else. the noise comes from the filter on the injen short ram intake.
That's just your turbo spooling down..... I love that flutter noise by the way. Strangely enough, mine doesn't flutter as much as it used too.....

Quick Reply: fluttering air