Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

Oil Catch Can: Its Purpose.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 12:28 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oil Catch Can: Its Purpose.

True...hadn't considered that. It's kinda spooky to see so much oil in it considering it took almost 3 months to fill w/o the Stage 1. Thank goodness I've got one on there!!!!

Old 09-30-2004, 08:20 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or it could be the combination of both if the Amsoil is slicker than the Mobil 1, then it could be partially due to that letting it slide by too. But I think it's your Stage 1 doing it.

Old 09-30-2004, 11:00 PM
dustyloins
Hall of Fame Member

You're probably right. I'm getting a few small oil specks on the rear bumper area that I never got with the stock PCM....

Old 10-01-2004, 01:22 AM
Barneydriver
Captain

ORIGINAL: 71RoadRunner

ORIGINAL: Barneydriver

...the pcv is on top of the valve cover and releases oil that blows past the internals under high boost situations....
...However, turbocharged engines have a tendency to create too much crankcase pressure causing it to also blow out oil past the PCV valve regardless...

hmmm...

this theoretically will reduce power since the oil takes the place of air that could be used for combustion.
Actually this is the opposite of what will happen. Since oil is a liquid and liquids cannot be compressed it will actually raise the compression creating more power. This is why water getting sucked up into an engine is so destructive, since a liquid cannot be compressed it will, if enough gets into the cylinder, cause it to act like a solid and on the compression stroke it will bend the connecting rods into pretzels. However the amount of oil that we are talking about would not be enough to have any effect on this at all and will only cause plug fouling and oil being burned creating blue smoke out the tail pipes as well as premature O2 and catalytic converter failure not to mention gumming up the exhaust side of the turbo.
this one i disagree with, b/c oil is a combustible, and also b/c of the fuel/air ratio. fuel also is a liquid and is by definition non-compressable (yes fuel is atomized, but you can easily argue that the process the oil goes through atomizes it to the same extent.
water injection works on the principal you're talking of, but the difference is that water is not combustible, and the fuel/air mixture is adjusted to compensate for the the air that the water replaces (i.e., less air, less fuel=optimum power). the oil replaces air, but fuel flow is not retarded to compensate for the lack of air that the oil replaces. not only that, but the oil combusts, and uses even more oxygen (i'm generally using oil and air interchangably w/ the assumption that everyone knows that oxygen is the key component). therefore, the mixture is overly rich=not optimum power. the amounts, and therefore the numbers, are small, and probably negligible, but the oil acts in the same capacity as the fuel, just on a smaller energy level.
just my views...

Old 10-01-2004, 07:16 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

Oil can and will burn, but it does not burn totally and completely and is far from becoming atomized by the time it enters the cylinder. If all the oil present in the cylinder were completely burned on every stroke then the cylinder walls would be dry on every compression stroke causing massive wear and damage since the rings would be rubbing and galling the dry cylinder walls. None of this even matters since the amount is so incredibly small that it would not have any effect whatsoever on power output simply by it's presence in the cylinder. The only concerns with oil in the cylinders is plug fouling and excessive oil burning causing smoke and premature catalytic converter and O2 sensor failure.

Old 10-02-2004, 02:50 AM
Barneydriver
Captain

I completely agree- except that the lubrication oil comes from the bottom end, the crankcase, and is not intended to burn at all, of course (which you already know, i'm just emphasizng it for those who may not).[sm=smiley33.gif]

Old 10-10-2004, 03:26 AM
TurboPowered
Veteran

How hard is it to install? Did u buy one that was made or make one yourself... and how much $$

Old 10-10-2004, 06:24 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

You can get them from Auto Zone, they are actually air compressor filters and the one at Auto Zone is the Campbell Hausfeld MP5138 $12.99 I believe. Get it, a pair of fittings and about 3-4' of hose the same size as the one connecting the PCV valve to the hard plastic line and hose clamps. It will take you all of around 10 minutes to install it.

Old 10-10-2004, 12:45 PM
dustyloins
Hall of Fame Member

You can go to the "other" SRT-4 site and type "oil catch can" in the search feature. That should get you some photos showing the install...RR is right, it's really easy to do.

Old 10-19-2004, 03:52 PM
millenniumdna
All Star

Now that I will be adding a aftermarket CAI. Should I add a 2nd catch can?

Quick Reply: Oil Catch Can: Its Purpose.