Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

Cold start

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007 | 01:58 AM
BLKSRT4
|
Professional
Default Cold start

Ok when its cold out, my car has hard starting in the morning. it takes it alittle for it to start. is there something i can replace or something that is going bad? its even parked in a garage thats like 70 degrees.

Old 08-24-2007 | 02:01 AM
PSI Chick
Champion
Default RE: Cold start

welcome to srt's. many have it lol.

the only thing that i have seen as a common variable in serious hard start problems is that the fuel pump is taking a crap. other than that, just prime before you go to start it that seems to help.

Old 08-24-2007 | 02:53 AM
Pressurecooker
Record Breaker

E-85 will do that. Are you running e-85 mixed or otherwise?

Old 08-24-2007 | 03:25 AM
BLKSRT4
|
Professional

ok now why would i run E-85?? i run 93 octane. is it that the stock mopar fuel pump sucks big **** lol

Old 08-24-2007 | 07:18 AM
MAssSrTdriven
Professional

well i just started my car froma cold start it took forever as usual i use 93 octane. but as im sitting there i hear this noise every couple minutes it sounds like a click. its at an idle i never heard this before. and i all of a sudden hear a click soudned like coming right from the front of the car the fmic. but i dont see why that would click so now im confused as to what is wrong wit my car this time.

Old 08-24-2007 | 08:46 AM
SRT_YA
Record Breaker

E85 will jack up stuff if your car is not designed for it... it eats up fuel lines, collects moisture, and requires a different calibration... E85 equiped vehicles will run at ~8:1 instead of the typical 12-14:1.... aka, E85 uses more fuel!! Don't use it in these cars!!!!

second... Mass - stupid question - do you have your air conditioning on?

Old 08-24-2007 | 08:52 AM
MAssSrTdriven
Professional

no a/c is not on, i have nevver even used it in fact lol. my heater was on the first notch.

Old 08-24-2007 | 09:48 AM
SRT_YA
Record Breaker

just guessing... it sounds like a relay kicking "on" / "off"...

perhaps the elec. fans kicking on?? again... just guessing here...

Old 08-24-2007 | 12:56 PM
Pressurecooker
Record Breaker

Why? because e-85 has about a 105 octane rating and will hold HOM. That's why. I am not recommending that you use it but many people either do or have tried it. Like myself.
93 octane by itself will not hold HOM. If I mix e-85 and 93 at about 25/75 %, my car will hold HOM. E-85 mixed as such works great to hold HOM, and seems to have good power with the overly rich stage 2 that it tends to lean out, but the more e-85 you have, the more strange things happen. Like for example, the car becomes harder to start, and stumbles more than the usual at idle.
I only add e-85 occasionally and have been doing so for about a year with no ill side effects to this point other than those I just listed. When I go back to straight 93, the car runs as it always has. I'm experimenting and I generally like the results so far.
IMO, a 25% mix of e-85 is no worse for the engine than over the counter octane boosters, and a whole lot better for the environment, plus, here, e-85 is quite a bit less money than regular 87 unleaded. Agian, this is my opinon.
You can do what you want. Just be advised e-85 will do these things. So far my car runs great.

Old 08-24-2007 | 01:10 PM
Pressurecooker
Record Breaker

The clicking is the a/c compressor kicking on and off. This is almost 100% garaunteed. The compressor runs whenever the fan switch is on. It does not matter if you are in cold or hot it will run in both settings. All newer cars do this. The reason, I believe, for it running even when you are requiring heat is, the air is passing over the evaporator and it is being dried. This keeps the humidity level down inside the car and helps clear the windshield of fog. At least that's the way I understand it. It serves a secondary benefit in keeping the a/c system lubed and in good working order during the winter months where like here in Mi. it might not be used for 6 mos at a time. On much older cars, the a/c was off all winter and when you started it for the first time in the summer, orings would leak and the a/c would not work.
So the only time the a/c compressor will not cycle is with the fan/system completely off.
(speed secret) -although the compressor even when on, will disengage when the throttle is at WOT anyway.

Quick Reply: Cold start