Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

pros and cons to wheel spacers

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 04:23 PM
STILL GH3TtO
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pros and cons to wheel spacers

i want to widen the stance a lil on my car.... what are your opinions on wheel spacers?? will they hold under heavy cornering??

Old 11-18-2007, 11:47 PM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Default RE: pros and cons to wheel spacers

wheel spacers are the devil. but if you do use spacers you might want to get slightly longer studs... dont want the rim held on by one or two threads that you can still get the lug onto.
just get rims that are the proper offset and you will have no need for spacers.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:26 AM
PSI Chick
Champion

there are no pros to wheel spacers

Old 11-19-2007, 01:45 AM
STILL GH3TtO
Veteran

psi i value your opinion since you seem to know your stuff.... please elaborate n why they are no good.... dont just tell me they are no good.... this applies to ebveryones opinion

Old 11-19-2007, 06:13 AM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

https://dodgeforum.com/m_558993/tm.htm

Old 11-19-2007, 10:20 AM
PSI Chick
Champion

um no don't read that thread. you've got crystal claiming that wheel spacers are safe as long as you torque to specs [:@]

basically what a wheel spacer is, is a big washer that you're putting between the rim and the hub. this can (and often does) cause the studs to fail because you're placing too much weight on the studs. they were not designed to hold the weight of the car, that's what the hub is for. 3mm, 5mm MAX. anything more than that and you're risking the studs cracking and then you're in serious trouble.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:17 PM
MEandmySRT
Professional

ORIGINAL: flamingpinhead

https://dodgeforum.com/m_558993/tm.htm

i'm glad i read that thread, but it wouldn't have mattered because i have to use spacers for my axis reverbs. spacers that came with wheels were pretty thin but even with the spacers my wheel inner spokes rubbed the caliper bracket. every thing works great now after i sanded and repainted inner spokes and machined a tiny bit off the caliper brackets and repainted them. torqued to specs 1,000 miles ago and rechecked torque at 100 miles and 1,000 miles and lug nuts never lost any torque.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:36 AM
MEandmySRT
Professional

trying to get more wheel spacers because my old ones are cracked (don't know where they came from) and i ordered 3mm from modernperformance but theylook thicker than my old ones. seem to be about 4mm, so i don't know if they're a thick 3mm or a thin 5mm since the site only sells 3,5 and 8's ..is there a better place to buy 3mm spacers? also, these centers are cut out larger so they don't lock onto the hub centering rings nearly as well as my old spacers. thanks.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:18 AM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

how many miles did you get outof your spacers before they began to crack? it was only a few months since you last posted aboutgetting them.im not a huge fan of wheel spacers... the potential safety concerns just arent worth it imo, better to find rims that fit without them. but i guess since you already have em, gotta work with what you got. (yes, i know sometimes a good deal is just too hard to pass up)

i dont know that there is a 'thick' or 'thin' spacer. you would think 3mm is 3mm. really it would have to be checked with a micrometer to be sure of your measurements.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:13 AM
MEandmySRT
Professional

ORIGINAL: flamingpinhead

how many miles did you get outof your spacers before they began to crack? it was only a few months since you last posted aboutgetting them.im not a huge fan of wheel spacers... the potential safety concerns just arent worth it imo, better to find rims that fit without them. but i guess since you already have em, gotta work with what you got. (yes, i know sometimes a good deal is just too hard to pass up)

i dont know that there is a 'thick' or 'thin' spacer. you would think 3mm is 3mm. really it would have to be checked with a micrometer to be sure of your measurements.
one is okay, but one is cracked in a couple of spots. it was actually cracked when i bought the new wheel/tire combo due to the spacer being slightly bent when new. it measures 3mm with a micrometer and the new ones measure 4mm. to me it looks like it was a let's just call it a 3mm since it's the thinnest one we sell deal.

Quick Reply: pros and cons to wheel spacers