Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

Royal Purple

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 09:15 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Royal Purple

I think the bottom line here is if you follow the recommended changes for fluids, you'll be OKno matter what product you use.....

Dusty

Old 03-13-2008, 06:28 AM
AWH
Professional

Good post above by Polishguy33. That pretty much explains it. A friend of mine is a tech at a dodge dealer and he told me basically the same thing about the T-850 being able to handle the torque but the fine tuning and synchros are the problem.

I had my tranny replaced (under warranty) at 70K miles, and I don't WOT shift or even run it at the track, though I do drive it hard on the street and I often haul around heavy stuff since I'm a musician and constantly lugging equipment. Here's what happened, in chronological order:
[ol][*]At 50K mi, shifting into 3rd and reverse became difficult. Replaced synchros and shift forks. "Upgraded" to Spec Stage 2 clutch (may have been a mistake).[*]Everything was smooth as silk 'til around 68K, when shifting into 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and Rev became extremely difficult. I often had to shut the car off to get it in 1st (or downshift and hold the clutch the whole time at a red light) and sync-shift around town.[*]Shortly after, 3rd gear would grind every time unless I rev-matched and it would pop out of 3rd and 4th a lot.[*]Dodge replaced the tranny under warranty at around 70K (I have 7 yr. 100,000 mi extended warranty)[*]At that time I had them also install a new Mopar Performance clutch and Mopar STS and Royal Purple Synchromax. Smooth as silk again, 25K later.[/ol]

I'm overdue on changing my trans fluid, but I'll probably get on it this weekend.

My only question is this: As Dusty stated above as well as many others I've talked to, you have to change the fluid periodically no matter what you use (I believe 16-18K is the correct interval). So WHY then does the owners manual tell you the tranny fluid will last the life of the car and NOT need to be changed??? Just Wondering....
[sm=icon_rtfm.gif][sm=WTFsgign.gif]

Old 03-13-2008, 01:52 PM
dustyloins
Hall of Fame Member

They came out with a TSB a year or two ago changing the mileage on the tranny fluid changes to a lower number.... I never got an official notice, PSI Chick or LilSparkPlugwas nice enough to let the folks here on DF know....

Dusty

Old 03-13-2008, 02:42 PM
monstab757
Professional

My 2005 owner's manual states to replace it at 18k miles.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:04 PM
dustyloins
Hall of Fame Member

I THINK it was lowered to around 12,000-14,000 miles......

Dusty

Old 03-13-2008, 07:53 PM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

mine got Xed at 15 and 30k.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:01 PM
dustyloins
Hall of Fame Member

I won't reach 15K before I sell mine, but those are good numbers to follow....

Dusty

Old 03-17-2008, 03:10 AM
AWH
Professional

Hmm that's interesting - I'll double check but I'm pretty sure it says you never need to change it in my manual. Mine is an '03. Maybe they revised it after '03 if they started to realize the cars were having tranny issues. Either way, I never received an official notice either regarding this and I've received them about other things.

Quick Reply: Royal Purple