Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

Getting SRT-4 Soon

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 12:36 AM
LilSparkPlug
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Getting SRT-4 Soon

Hell yeah!! I get along better with people your age than my own! Good luck with everything.

Old 12-22-2004, 06:24 PM
Bradmtx

Hey let me aask you this: the stock tires are not all season, should I put on all seasong since i reside in the northeast (NYC) or will the stock tires do well?

Old 12-23-2004, 05:57 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[sm=icon_rtfm.gif][sm=icon_rtfm.gif] HAHA, no one beat me to it this time, I finally got to use this smiley first. It has all that information in the owners manual. After the first 300 miles I believe is when they say it helps to promote a good break-in by doing several full throttle runs in the higher gears, but not in the lower gears as it may actually do the opposite and cause damage. From 3rd gear on up you should be safe for this, but not 1st or 2nd, wait until you've got at least 1,000 miles or more on it for that.

Get snow tires for winter or a beater car for winter, these tires are perfect for dry and wet, but snow they are completely worthless. For 1"-3" of snow your OK, but anything beyond that and you might as wel be driving on smooth ice that is covered in water, oil and ball bearings, you'll be all over the place except where you want to be.[:@][:@][:@][:@]

Old 12-23-2004, 12:32 PM
Bradmtx

Thanks for the info. I guess I will stick with these because i dont anticipate more than a sprinkling on the ground and if it s more then its public transport for me. By the way although i change my oil every 3000 miles is there a particular change period during break in and also wat grade oil would be recommended for winter as opposed to summer? From what I hear strictly syn and no bone oil for this puppy; would the blend( part syn part bone) be accceptable?

Old 12-24-2004, 09:33 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

Nope, just the 3 month or 3K miles, whichever comes first. Any motor oil is fine, but synthetics have far greater properties and performance such as reduced friction, lowers operating temperatures, increases horsepower and torque, increases fuel mileage, greater resistance to high temperatures and damage and greater protection on start up. The only down side to synthetics is the price, but with rising oil costs it's not as big a deal as it once was. I highly recommend, as Dodge does, Mobil 1 synthetic. For winter you should use 5W30 or 0W30 and 10W30 for the rest of the year.

For those that may not believe in synthetics, I have a friend that lives by Mobil 1 since that is all he has ever used in his '89 Mustang GT convertible and he bought it new. It currently has over 360,000+ miles on an untouched motor that has never been touched internally, it does have all the typical bolt ons such as headers, exhaust, X-pipe, CAI, larger throttle body, ignition, etc., all it's other parts such as cam, heads, intake, bearings, etc. are all untouched since it was built by Ford back in '89. That should be more than proof enough.

Old 12-24-2004, 06:46 PM
lblackneon
Champion

How much does the Mobil 1 synthetic normally cost around $50-60?

Old 12-24-2004, 11:58 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Advance Auto Parts has it on sale right now for $4.48 a quart, Pep Boys has it on sale about once every three months for about $3.88 a quart and Wal Mart has it in 5 quart bottles for around $20.00.

I alternate between Amsoil and Mobil 1. Amsoil has better wear protection, Mobil 1 has a more stable viscosity. Pick one......

Old 12-25-2004, 09:44 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

That plus Amsoil is not available in stores, you'll have to find an individual dealer/distributor.

Old 12-25-2004, 02:46 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Or you can become a "preferred customer" and order from their website at the dealer's cost....

Anyone know if syn oil has any kind of "shelf life"? I've got some Mobil 1 I've had for over a year now in unopened bottles.....

Old 12-26-2004, 11:54 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

I didn't know you could order it straight from their site.

If it's only a year old then it's just fine, it would take a long time for it to go bad if it even does.

Quick Reply: Getting SRT-4 Soon