Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

70k SRT-4 Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008 | 07:27 PM
Nvbby
Default 70k SRT-4 Advice?

So i just bought myself a 2004 SRT-4 with 70k mileage, the dealer told me that they had sent it in to a dodge dealership to get everything fixed or if anything needed fixing. I ran the CPU to see if any codes would pop up and it came back clear. So with that in mind, i was looking to see if anyone can give me advice on what should be taken care of first. i would like to upgrade but its gonna take alittle time before that happens. Picture of the vehicle is up in the Pic Post! Introduce yourself and your car at the begining of the forums. Thanks, Help appreciated.

Old 04-05-2008 | 09:32 AM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator
Default RE: 70k SRT-4 Advice?

if not already done, change: tranny fluid, every filter you can think of, pcv, check the plugs/wires and drive/timing belts

and since you dont really know what was done, i would swap out the oil and put in fully synthetic just incase they were cutting corners.

if the car had not OCC on it already, youll probably want to take a saturday, remove, dump out, and clean all the oil buildup in the intercooler / throttle body area. and install an occ, check valve and change out the pcv.

Old 04-07-2008 | 10:46 PM
Nvbby

Thank you very much for the information. i'll be taking it in to a dodge dealership to get everything on the list modified or fixed.

Old 04-08-2008 | 07:42 PM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator

honestly im not sure many at the dealer will know what the OCC is. just to be blunt the dealer will probably charge you an arm and a leg. the tranny fluid change is skill level one. if you can change the oil than the trans is no problem. i have a how-to posted up

here is a how-to i did on oil/trans fluid change:
http://www.myneonspeed.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1783

also might want to check out the ebrake adjustment. chances are unless its been done your handle is hitting the console when you try to apply the brake:
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f75/...stment-368008/
or
http://www.myneonspeed.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1713

Old 04-10-2008 | 10:25 PM
Nvbby

alright well so fari changed both front rotors and brakes cuz they were bad... really bad. changed the oil, need to change tranny fluid. had the alignment fixed. along with adding a bolt that made my tires straight since the last one was damaged. bought a AEM CAI gonna install that tomorrow or when i'm not busy, and also bought the pcv valve, going to install that while i'm installing the CAI. its progress what i'm doing so i'm just glad its some kind of progress. You know of a good OCC i can buy?

Old 04-10-2008 | 10:38 PM
Nvbby

Also i'm hearing a flutter noise coming from i'm taking either the BOV or the stock intake it has on. it happens when im in the vac area and push in the cluth to shift gears. I'll rev up to 3 RPMs and hold in the cluth and it makes that flutter sound, all the way to 4th gear. but when i release the gas and let it ride on rpms for a sec before i press in the cluth, the flutter noise doesnt happen. anyone know why?

Old 04-11-2008 | 05:29 AM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator

if you look at my pics, youll see my OCC. mine is made by NRG, but its the exact same thing that greddy makes. if you want one a little more high speed, you can get one with the inlet lower than the outlet, which makes it more effective but would need dumped more often. there is a stickey in the main section that probably has such info.

the flutter is normal for what your describing. its the sound of the blades on the turob spinning. if you put on a cai it will make it louder.

Old 04-15-2008 | 11:45 AM
Nvbby

Ok so i'm getting the 15mm OCC from Greddy, it should be here tomorrow. i already put the AEM CAI in and yes it did make the flutter noise alittle louder. but it sounds so sweet cuz i can actually hear the air being sucked in through the CAI. Also i wanted to ask. Is there a way i can find out what kind of turbo i have? or what stage it is. and. with the different stages whats the max PSI that comes out of them. I have a boost controller from greddy, and when i bought the car it was set to max, on high. so i was shooting close to 25PSI without knowing. as soon as i left the dealership i've had it on Low, shooting about 13PSI. I just would like to make sure i get the correct about of PSI so i dont bow my turbo.

Old 04-22-2008 | 05:52 PM
Plan B
Captain

A stock turbo should not exceed 16-17 psi unless you know what you are doing, so for your sake I hope it is at least a stage 3 setup if you are pushing 25psi. Post a pic of the engine bay for starters....

Old 04-28-2008 | 11:29 PM
Nvbby

yea i found out it is a stock turbo, so i'm lucky i didnt fry it, but i got it down to 13psi right now. and no troubles.

Quick Reply: 70k SRT-4 Advice?