Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

compression

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 06:27 PM
Moparmatt440
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: compression

.020 is the size to bore the cylinder out to, if you take your block to a machine shop and tell them you want a .020 over bore they will know what to do, plus if you bore the block it also added a few CID (cubic inch displacement), like going from a 2.4 to a 2.5, not sure if this over bore will be enough to make it a 2.5, plus the bigger the surface area of the piston the more air and fuel you can put in to make more hp. With a 8.8 compression ratio, it will enable her to make more hp with less boost being required as IBLACKNEON said. Diffently upgrade the oil pump to the dcr, the last thing you will want is not haveing a good oil supply for your motor. Now if you buy a bigger crank or a stroker crank you will then add more torque, plus displacement, like dcr kit is a .020 bore and a 106mm stroke I think causeing a 2.6L displacement. Your shop that you went to sounds to me like you need to find another one, raising or lowering has its own benefit, if you have question's you can always call up JEGs or Summit Racing, or talk to a real performance shop, like here in southeren Cali there is a shop called Dougans that knows what they are doing, it who I have always taking all my block to, if you live around here let me know and I can get you their number.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:29 PM
STILL GH3TtO
Veteran

I live in AZ and the shop I go to recieves cars from AGP so I know they know what they are doing. UMS TUNING and APEX MOTORSPORTS.He says from his own personal expeirence that the stock compression has worked out best for him (he knows how I drive my car) I think I will be getting crower rods, wiseco pistons, port and polish the head, cams, dcr oil pump and tensionor

Old 06-20-2008, 09:03 AM
PSI Chick
Champion

they know what they are doing yet they question why anyone would want to go with a higher compression? um...yea......

Old 06-20-2008, 10:19 AM
lblackneon
Champion

Do your research on him or else you'll be looking at another blown motor. You shouldn't be blowing motors like that unless you're trying to prove how hard you can push something. Why does he think the stock compression is the best???

Old 06-20-2008, 01:58 PM
STILL GH3TtO
Veteran

I beat the hell out of my car... both times I blew my motor I was doing 160 plus and it is not built for that. He told me the benefit of raising/lowering the compression but from his experience he says stock has done him better. From what I am told you can make more hp by lowereing the compresiion and raising the boost as opposed to raising the compression...? I have done my research on the shops out here after I had major issues with "VIVID RACING" and this shop was one of the best. UMS tuned all the cars for the street tuner shootout that was here a few weeks ago. I decided to bore the motor and go with brian crower rods wiseco pistons... has anyone heard anything bad about that setup?

Old 06-20-2008, 04:17 PM
lblackneon
Champion

Ahh. That'll do it. 5th gear is like overdrive. Now I know why you blew your motor.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:31 PM
PSI Chick
Champion

doing 160mph won't cause you to blow your motor. the guys in germany regularly top out at 170 on the autobahn with no problems.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:11 PM
STILL GH3TtO
Veteran

then what would cause it to break one rod and bend another?

Old 06-20-2008, 07:40 PM
PSI Chick
Champion

that's a hard question to answer. a million different things could cause it. it sounds like parts failure. it happens when you push the car sometimes. if they were defective to begin with then putting them under high stress could cause a failure. but it's hard to say really.......

Old 06-20-2008, 07:46 PM
lblackneon
Champion

Once you start modifying your SRT-4 and start putting serious power down, that's when the chances of you blowing your motor will increase. 5th gear isn't meant for all that power until u increase the strength of your bottom end. I was told that 5th gear is like overdrive when I was getting my car tuned.
4th gear is plenty for me anyway. What's that around 140 ish?

Quick Reply: compression