Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

Clutch Pedal Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 03:14 AM
AWH
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Pedal Problem

I wonder if this has happened to anyone else:

I was driving my car the other day and all of the sudden I heard this snapping sound every time I pressed the clutch pedal and I could barely get the car into gear. I sync-shifted my way home and immediately checked it out. I noticed that a black plastic "clip" connected to the pin protruding sideways (to the left) from the upper part of the clutch pedal had become partially detached. It appears that the pivot bushing on the clip wore out and won't stay on the pin. The other end of this clip connects (with a small nut & bolt) to a rod that pushes the clutch when you step on the pedal.

I put it back into place and it popped off again. It won't seem to "click" into place. I temporarily strapped it in with wire ties until I can fix it properly and it works fine. My questions: Does anyone know the part number for this clip? Are there better ones available instead of replacing it with the stock one? I would like to replace it myself if possible. Any input on this would be appreciated. Thanks![/align]

Here are pics (they should open even though the thumbnail shows an x):
[IMG]local://upfiles/86019/4457A5D7A0A64899A046E640DEBA7666.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]local://upfiles/86019/285D29EFD73645AAB0DE383A6A15B320.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-19-2008, 11:23 AM
PSI Chick
Champion
Default RE: Clutch Pedal Problem

the same thing actually happened to a friend of mine at the track. it sucks. i thinkhe ended up just replacing the petal.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:35 AM
AWH
Professional

Hmm that doesn't really make sense. The problem isn't with the pedal itself, it's with the pivot bushing and clip that attaches to the pedal. Changing the pedal without replacing this clip wouldn't fix the problem.

I guess I will go to a dealership and try to get one. It's just a pain in the *** to get parts at my local dealer without a part number, since they never have a clue about anything for my car, and then they end up ordering stuff for a regular neon and it ends up not working for my car.

In any case, when I get the part number I will post it. I'm sure it's not an expensive part, maybe $10 max and looks very easy to replace, maybe 10 mins. But I would reccommend every SRT-4 driver get one and keep it on hand because it will just pop off all of the sudden and you will be SOL and possibly damage your tranny/clutch/shifter/linkage etc....

Old 06-24-2008, 06:50 AM
AWH
Professional

Wow, no takers still, huh?

WellI did a little research and although I still don't have the part number for the stock piece, I found something better. Rage-Tek actually sells a billet steel upgrade for $69. I'm going to just order one of these instead of replacing it with a stock piece. I will let you guys know how it works out.

http://www.rage-tek.com/product.php?productid=16291&cat=255&page=1

Old 06-24-2008, 09:55 AM
PSI Chick
Champion

i think the petal comes with the part, that's why he just did that. knowing mopar you can't order just the pin lol

Old 06-27-2008, 05:43 AM
AWH
Professional

Yeah, that could be true, though I've heard otherwise. Maybe certain dealers do this? My pedal is fine lol. Anyway, I ordered the Rage-tek upgraded one and I should be able to install it by early next week so I will let everyone know what I think. From what I've heard so far it's a pretty high quality piece. It should be for $70 anyway, lol.

Quick Reply: Clutch Pedal Problem