Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

sold my skilttle

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 09:30 PM
Pressurecooker
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely no doubt in my mind SRT-4's will be worth something someday. They are a bonafide performance car with many "special" bits and pieces.

Because of thier Neon base, they will take a while to appreciate but they will. They already hold thier value far better than base Neons do. You will have to hold on to it for a while, quite a while, but mark my words, they will appreciate.

Look at cars like Dusters and Darts. Believe me, I was there, those cars were considered **** boxes back in thier day too. Nobody and I MEAN NOBODY could have seen that they would someday sell for more than they cost new, and yet, they are now!

Sorry to hear PSI Chick has sold hers.

Good luck with the Saturn.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:02 AM
N3ON
Captain

well just a little update on GM.the company is broke so they have discontinued making hummer,saturn,and pontiac.they have also sold saab.they havn't made it official yet but its going to happen.everyone who bought these new cars are freakin cause where are you going to get your parts cause there wont be a dealer and what about your warranty.have fun with universal parts

fyi a redline is 8 grand now cause they're trying to get rid of em.

Last edited by N3ON; 04-18-2009 at 08:13 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:06 PM
srt4rez
Professional

Should've kept the red hot chili pepper! I'm so happy with mines and gonna keep it a lifetime...either I go first or my ride. Sweet .............

Old 04-29-2009, 04:03 AM
AWH
Professional

My $.02....

1.) Good luck with the Sky, but you better start modding it now because performance is going to be a big disappointment compared to your SRT-4 which was a sick car. My g/f has a 06 Pontiac Slowstice (hehe) with the n/a 2.4L 5-spd manual with 20K miles on it and it sucks wind BAD to my mostly stock (I/E only) 03 SRT-4 with over 120K on it. It does handle very, very well though.

IMO it's not a bad car but the shifter is rubbery, the seats hurt my back and it's too small and cramped especially with the top up. Not to mention it's not very practical, but you don't buy it for that. RWD is nice though, the factory stereo is pretty good and it's great on gas. Keep an eye on the release mechanism for putting the top down (the pieces that release from the trunk lid to open the trunk and/or put the top down), they get jammed and don't open properly sometimes. Also watch out for the parking brake, it gets loose and needs tightening. And no electric door locks without using the remote! Oh well, the SRT has manual rear windows, so....

I'm assuming having a factory warranty is not a huge priority otherwise I would have said it would be smarter to go with the turbo REDLINE model. On the other hand, if you're going to change the turbo anyway, you may as well spend less $$ and go with the n/a, which is a bigger engine, 2.4L vs. 2.0L with the factory turbo. Also I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the n/a has better skidpad handling for some reason.

2.) As for whether the SRT will be a collector car and/or be worth anything in the future, the answer is based on simple economics. What will the supply of SRT-4s be like in X amount of years, and will there be a demand for them? The greater the demand and the lower the supply, the higher the price. And like the Mustangs and Camaros going for big $$$ now, the SRT-4s that will command the most $$$ will be low mileage, pristine condition, and mostly or entirely stock.

My personal opinion is that it will take a very long time before SRT-4s accumulate any serious value, but at some point it is possible. It may take 30-40 years. At this point we can only speculate. Thinking the car will be worth $100K in 20 years is just wishful thinking.

Good luck!!

Old 04-29-2009, 08:54 AM
PSI Chick
Champion

i didn't buy the saturn as a race car or anything like that. you guys don't seem to get that. this is a daily driver. i'm probably going to s/c it just to get a little more power out of it, but i doubt the car will ever see a track. maybe a autox or something like that.

if i wanted a drag car i will build one. and it certainly won't be a 4 banger again or anything fwd. i learned the futility of that with the neon. i will have another project car, probably a mustang or something like it, where i can actually make usable power.

n3on - you're just an idiot. redlines are not going for 8k, and saturn is not dumping cars. they're going to be around until 2012. saab is being sold, pontiac is closing in 2011. GM is not going anywhere, everyone with any GM or former GM car will still be able to get parts, and ANY GM dealer can handle warranty issues. and what do you think will happen to your precious neon when chrysler files chapter 11??? which it IS going to do soon. at least GM isn't going bankrupt lol

AWH - rubbery is definetly not a word i would use to dscribe the shifting. maybe the solstice has a different tranny, but the sky's shifting is crisp. the trunk release sucks lol, and not having a door lock button is honestly just retarded. i've noticed that the ebreak sucks at life, already tightened it twice. i don't have a problem with it being cramped, which is why i drive it. it's not meant for big people.

honestly the compaison of a nsrt to a solstice is just stupid. you're talking about a turbo fwd 4 door sedan and a n/a two seat rwd roadster. i've seen car and driver make less rediulous comparisons.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:31 PM
mxrnick
Veteran

Originally Posted by Pressurecooker
Absolutely no doubt in my mind SRT-4's will be worth something someday. They are a bonafide performance car with many "special" bits and pieces.

Because of thier Neon base, they will take a while to appreciate but they will. They already hold thier value far better than base Neons do. You will have to hold on to it for a while, quite a while, but mark my words, they will appreciate.

Look at cars like Dusters and Darts. Believe me, I was there, those cars were considered **** boxes back in thier day too. Nobody and I MEAN NOBODY could have seen that they would someday sell for more than they cost new, and yet, they are now!

Sorry to hear PSI Chick has sold hers.

Good luck with the Saturn.
finally i knew someone on this forum wastnt retar... oops mentally challenged.
and i fully agree that n3on is a tard but chapter 11 does not mean the company is going out of business for good just that they are re organizing the whole company. just see how long gm lasts now that they had to recall millions of there cars. that gets expensive real quick having to replace that many cars but at least they can give them a tahoe or a surburban or an envoy or an... they have seas of those things sitting on lots that no one will buy for a long time but im sure they can give them away. there is a reason fiat is coming to save chrysler and not one of the other big 3 one is already dead the other will make it on there own and the last one just needs some money to save them

Old 05-01-2009, 06:05 AM
AWH
Professional
Red face

Originally Posted by PSI Chick
i didn't buy the saturn as a race car or anything like that. you guys don't seem to get that. this is a daily driver. i'm probably going to s/c it just to get a little more power out of it, but i doubt the car will ever see a track. maybe a autox or something like that.

if i wanted a drag car i will build one. and it certainly won't be a 4 banger again or anything fwd. i learned the futility of that with the neon. i will have another project car, probably a mustang or something like it, where i can actually make usable power.

AWH - rubbery is definetly not a word i would use to dscribe the shifting. maybe the solstice has a different tranny, but the sky's shifting is crisp. the trunk release sucks lol, and not having a door lock button is honestly just retarded. i've noticed that the ebreak sucks at life, already tightened it twice. i don't have a problem with it being cramped, which is why i drive it. it's not meant for big people.

honestly the compaison of a nsrt to a solstice is just stupid. you're talking about a turbo fwd 4 door sedan and a n/a two seat rwd roadster. i've seen car and driver make less rediulous comparisons.
1. I didnt say anyhing about what you are trying to build or whatever, even though it was YOU who first mentioned how the Sky's stock internals could handle 600HP and you were inquiring about turbos for it. I was just merely stating the truth that a stock n/a solstice/sky is slow compared to a stock SRT-4 let alone one that runs 11s or 12s. It's hard to go to a slower car when you are used to having all that power on tap. That is the main reason I don't like driving the solstice. And the solstice/sky IS actually a better platform to build on because it handles better and it's RWD.

My SRT-4 IS my daily driver and mostly stock and will probably never go higher than Mopar Stage 1 with I/E. All due respect I think it's silly (as you admitted you learned) to put the $$$ into making a FWD car put down 500 HP. And no, I don't think the SRT is God's chariot or anything, just a good performing sedan that is practical for me and a good bang for the buck. It's about the best you're going to get in FWD performance.

2. Now c'mon, someone with all your car knowledge wouldn't possibly believe that the Sky and Solstice have different trannys when we all know they are the same exact car with the exception of styling. That's naive, don't ya think? I certainly wouldn't describe the shifting as "crisp". It feels "rubbery" and "spongy" to me and not very "sporty" and the throws are long. I'm sure an STS and stiff bushings will fix that, as it did in my SRT. Just my opinion.

3. As for comfort, that varies person to person, and you're right the car is NOT for big people. I'm not that big - 5'11" 195 LBS 36" waist - and I couldn't imagine being 6'3" 250 LBS and riding in this with the top up.

4. Honestly making a comparison between the 2 cars is not all THAT stupid when you are talking about the car you just sold and the car you just bought. Sure it would be dumb to have a comparo of the 2 in C&D because they are different market segments. I know what the differences are between them. Duh. Do I really sound like an idiot?

Quick Reply: sold my skilttle