Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

Newbie With Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005 | 01:56 AM
slghmr87
Default RE: Newbie With Questions

thx for the STS links!

Old 05-04-2005 | 02:03 AM
LilSparkPlug
Champion

I'd join up at SRTforums.com and search around for installs on them. I know I've seen a bunch of threads on the oil pressure, especially those concerning the sending unit and its location for the install. There is a thread in the SRTforums how to section on where exactly to place the power and ground wires for the gauges in order for them to operate at all times, but I didnt find an exact thread on what you were looking for as Im not a member and cant search.

Id definitely give that a try, because 100% guaranteed that if what your asking isnt on there, they'll tell you how.

Your welcome, good luck with the installs.

Old 05-04-2005 | 08:00 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

You can get the gauge instructions at Auto Meters website, they are in downloadable pdf form. Most of the wiring can be done at the fuse block in the drivers side of the dash for the positives. You can use any good body bolts for your grounds and the rest goes to the sensor(s).

Old 05-05-2005 | 02:11 PM
roachnigga
Record Breaker

Thats good to know!!

Old 05-06-2005 | 12:20 AM
slghmr87

Thanks for the suggestions. For the gauges I checked the SRTforums and Auto Meter recommendations. The SRTforums site had some good forum install information. The Auto Meter site had the same pdf's as the instructions sent with the gauges. I'm o.k. with the Auto Meter install wiring on the gauge side. I was hoping to find out more about tapping into the stock wire harnesses for power/lighting and grounding recommendations. I also found different opinions on the oil pressure sending unit placement, install on the head verses teeing into the stock sending unit. And recommendations about through-the-firewall wiring placement. I don't have a lot of free time and was looking for some shortcuts. I'm anxious to get the mods installed. Instead of rushing it, I'm going to do one install at a time. If I come up with a better suggestions and recommendations I will post them. Thanks again for the advice!

Old 05-07-2005 | 07:13 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

I've got 3 gauges to install in mine and I will do them all at the same time. I have already wired up the gauges and made harnesses for them all, I even put the wires in convolute tubing/split loom to make it much nicer and easier to do.

Old 05-10-2005 | 11:00 PM
slghmr87

71RoadRunner: Thanks for the gauge install info. I will install the A pillar two-pod/gauges at the same time. My fault for not being clear. I also need to install the STS, CC's, BOV, and CAI. Re: installing the gauges, there's a post on SRTforums that recommends using CAT5 wiring. Your thoughts?

Old 05-11-2005 | 01:24 AM
LilSparkPlug
Champion

The catch can's, blow off valve, STS and CAI are all extremely easy to install. The exception being the third bolt on the Blow off valve. I dont know which BOV you got, I have the Mopar and I'm extremely pleased with it. Again as Ive stated in previous posts in this forum, theres no need for a full BOV (unlike the Mopar), unless you have an upgraded turbo and need something that can withstand a spike/hold of above 19psi.

The wiring Im not too familiar with so I wont say anything for fear of steering you wrong. Again i wish you luck with the installs, and just a question, did you get the bushings with the STS? If not, Id get a set of Booger bushings from Modern Performance or elsewhere, because they tend to go hand in hand with the STS itself for optimal performance of it. The stock bushings just dont cut it....

Old 05-11-2005 | 06:05 AM
Pressurecooker
Record Breaker

If I may intrude. If your asking what cat 5 wire is or for those who don't know, I believe it to be similar to phone cord only it will have like 8 conductors instead of 4 and they will be of a slightly heavier gauge than your household phone line and quite possibly solid core copper instead of stranded. It may also be referred to as ethernet cord/cable I think.
I suppose it would work pretty good for gauges. The obvious advantage being one small cable to run and hide behind trim and what not. Probably the biggest amp draw in any modern small electronic gauge is the bulb that lights it and that will often have it's own wire. I'm sorry, but I do not know the current capacity of cat 5 or if there are even different cat 5's. My guess is it would work ok but you need to make sure. I know it is pretty small wire.

Old 05-11-2005 | 08:46 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

CAT5 is what you hook your computer to your modem with (or in my case CAT6), not something you hook up car gauges with. Most any regular wire will do in the 16-20 gauge range.

Quick Reply: Newbie With Questions