Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.
View Poll Results: A poll
Mobil one
43.48%
Redline
13.04%
Royal Purple
34.78%
Amsoil
8.70%
Others
0%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

what is the best synthetic oil and WHY SO?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005 | 04:49 AM
Pressurecooker
|
Record Breaker
Default RE: what is the best synthetic oil and WHY SO?

Thanks for the input guys.

Old 05-09-2005 | 08:08 AM
roachnigga
Record Breaker

The guys are good about info...Girls too.. cant forget them

Old 05-10-2005 | 02:55 AM
mopar222
Veteran

I have always used mobil one, that is what we have for the other equipment. But voted for redline, use that in my bikes. My daily driver has had mobil one and now has 189,000 miles, absolutely no problems, and I only change the oil once a year(once went 2 by mistake) regardless of milage. Good oil, i would say so. The only oil I DON"T like is amsoil. Compatability issues in the past really turned me off.

Old 05-10-2005 | 11:00 AM
Stainz05

After many years of Alfa Romeo's, I bought a new '84 Dodge 600ES Turbo. Next - a new '88 Sundance Turbo 5sp. I bought my first wife an '89 Voyager Turbo Van. Finally, my '90 Shadow ES Turbo 5sp - bought literally off the showroom floor. All but the Shadow got 125k miles before trading... that Shadow must've had 180k mi - it's odometer had been stuck on 122k mi for eight years when I sold it 9/04. It had had the MOPAR race computer, K&N filter, wires, and matched +40% injectors since ~60k miles. That first one required 30W SF/CD rated oil... I had to order case-lots of Penzoil 30W HD from a parts house. That oil was meant for taxi sevice back then. I stuck with it... that is the only oil my turbo cars ever used... never synthetic oil. Wally World carried it... I even put it in my '93 Dakota V6. Admittedly, we have relatively mild winters - it never got below ~24 defrees F this year. I changed oil every 3k mi - with a Fram filter, which I hear is also now a poor choice. The '84 had a headgasket leak, otherwise, no engine problems with any of them. Of course they all - including my '93 V6 Dakota - demanded a new radiator (leaking plastic tanks) between 100k and 110k miles.

My second bride's '05 SRT-4, bought new 12/04, had the freebie dealer's oil change at 3k miles and will need it's second soon. I may just try the synthetic oil, although the dealer claims that the dino-oil is fine (That's what they use for their $20 oil change 'special'.). I bought a true soccer-mom's vehicle... an '05 Jeep Liberty... but I love it! The only other guy I see regularly driving a Liberty is my mailman. Heck, my oldest son is a turbo-Miata SCCA racer... guess we both like 'girly-man' cars!

Stainz05

Old 05-10-2005 | 01:17 PM
srt4 driver
Veteran

Mobil One ~
Why? You ask....
Its fairly cheap &
Its reccomended by the maufactuer.

Plus it works way better than canola oil.

Old 05-11-2005 | 01:02 AM
LilSparkPlug
Champion

Some asshat in my class tried telling me the best oil in the world is Walmart SuperTech...or whatever the hell its called. Sorry but I wouldnt run anything that said Walmart on it in my car. Never seen a professional use it...so why would I?

He bet me $100 dollars (or two cartons of cigarettes) that it would be better than any oil I've ever used. But I didn't take the bet, because Im not risking it. May be a stupid question, but anyone ever used it...and would YOU have taken the bet?

Old 05-11-2005 | 08:53 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

Nope, my cars are far too important to risk. Their oil is probably actually Kendall or something like that in their own package, many stores have ties like this with other companies for their own products. Check the bottles small print on the label, if I remember correctly Meijers brand oil is actually Penzoil.

Old 05-11-2005 | 02:34 PM
roachnigga
Record Breaker

Mobile-one, But i want to use Royal Purple

Old 05-13-2005 | 05:38 AM
Pressurecooker
|
Record Breaker

So what I've learned so far is; Royal Purple is supposed to have the most surface tension and was invented buy some guy who came out of retirement to help a company that was experiencing bearing failures on thier machines. The oil was developed specifically for the high bearing loads they had.
Redline claims to be made from the most expensive polyoester base stocks and are the same ones used in turbine aircraft oils.
Amsoil claims to be better than Mobile one in all sorts of categories.
I don't know anything about Valvolines full synthetic.
I do know that I can get the Mobil the cheapest at 4.99 a qt and it is the OEM recommended oil soooo......
It looks like Mobile for the first oil change anyway.

Old 05-13-2005 | 08:52 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

I know of an '89 Mustang GT convertible with plenty of bolt ons, but with the engine itself from intake manifold to oil pan being 100% stock and never rebuilt with over 360,000+ miles and going strong because of Mobil 1. He loves Mobil 1 because of this and if Mobil 1 can keep a Ford going that long without being rebuilt, then that's more than proof enough for me.

Quick Reply: what is the best synthetic oil and WHY SO?