Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

balance shaft removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 11:38 AM
spence
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default balance shaft removal

would it hurt the car if i didnt install an aftermarket windage tray after removeing the balance shaft? isnt the only downside of not installing one, haveing to add the extra oil?

Old 09-13-2005, 01:41 PM
RIPSIGUY
Captain
Default RE: balance shaft removal

Are you nuts? Do you have any idea how much that engine will vibrate without the balance shafts in place? You want more oil? Get a bigger pan.

Old 09-13-2005, 02:01 PM
MChat
Captain

Just don't autoX the car.

I removed the balance shaft assy on my car about 6 months (and ~6000 miles) ago. There is a hole you have to plug (I used a tap & tapped the hole for a bolt & then used a little silicon on the bolt threads). It does add a little vibration to the car, but it's not that bad. The Motor Mounts and Tranny Mounts added more vibration (I installed those before removing the balance shafts).

Old 09-13-2005, 02:23 PM
spence

i agree with the vibration from the mm. i had the agp solid mm for 3 or 4 months and sold em cause of the vibration when i turned on the ac. size tap did you use for the hole?

Old 09-13-2005, 02:35 PM
spence

ummm....no im not nuts...and yes i am aware of how much it will vibrate, obviously ur not though....
ORIGINAL: RIPSIGUY

Are you nuts? Do you have any idea how much that engine will vibrate without the balance shafts in place? You want more oil? Get a bigger pan.

Old 09-13-2005, 04:17 PM
SRT_YA
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: spence

ummm....no im not nuts...and yes i am aware of how much it will vibrate, obviously ur not though....
yeah, this is a good way to get an answer and make friends...

Old 09-13-2005, 06:23 PM
RIPSIGUY
Captain

Hey Spence. First of all, I think your a #*&$ idiot removing them. Second, I know what they feel like with no balance shaft, and if you spend most of your time on a John Deere, you probably like it. Don't ever bring that car to my dealership for warranty work, cause there isn't a warranty on it now.

Thanks SRT YA.

Old 09-14-2005, 04:42 AM
Pressurecooker
Record Breaker

I'll be nice. Don't do it. Vibration is EVIL. It causes all kinds of problems. Some not apparent right away. I would not even consider it unless I was building an all out race car and was lighteneing the whole bottom end and doing all kinds of exotic machine work.

Old 09-14-2005, 07:13 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This has been done for many years, it was commonly done to the old 2.5L's in the '80's, and it only causes a minor amount of vibration. The added vibration isn't good for the engine in the long term, but it's all up to you and what you want to do. It frees up a little power and lowers the weight slightly. Not installing an aftermarket windage tray will not hurt it any, but having a windage tray will free up a little power and help get the oil back into the pan as well as reduce vibrations and the chances of frothing the oil and running the pan dry.

Old 09-14-2005, 07:50 AM
spence

wow dude take it easy! do you think im a damn idiot or the f word idiot? John Deere....lol. Why would i bring my car to your dealership? I live like a thousand miles away from ya...But if im ever up there ill be sure i do! Ohhh and sorry if i hurt ur e-feelings...
ORIGINAL: RIPSIGUY

Hey Spence. First of all, I think your a #*&$ idiot removing them. Second, I know what they feel like with no balance shaft, and if you spend most of your time on a John Deere, you probably like it. Don't ever bring that car to my dealership for warranty work, cause there isn't a warranty on it now.

Thanks SRT YA.

Quick Reply: balance shaft removal