Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

Snow and the SRT-4

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 01:40 AM
slghmr87
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Snow and the SRT-4

Drove my car through three winters in Wisconsin. The first winter I purchased Blizzaks at Tires Plus and had them placed on my stock rims. I drive 60 hwy miles a day to/from work (plus traveling during work) and never had a problem in snow. Costs me 26 bucks at Tires Plus to switch back and forth from stock tires to Blizzaks and back every fall and spring. I'm thinking about getting another set of Srt or custom rims to avoid the change over hassle but that's only because I've grazed some curbs in the winter driving like a maniac. If you're careful during snowfall you should be fine with the Blizzaks.

Old 10-24-2005, 03:52 PM
Silver_Surfer

Last year I bought the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S tires (215 45 17). They were the only Ultra High Performance Tire sold by Discount. Last winter with them was fine here in Indiana. We rarely get more than 2" of snow and they did great. I had to do a panic stop at 50 in Jan 2005 and they were fine. Not as good as snow tires, but no swerving or anything. This summer I did notice that they do not hug the corners as well as the stockers, but the difference is minimal. What is not minimal is how quiet they are compared to the stock BFG's. I want to hear the exhaust, not the tires.

Yes, I am saving up and next year I am hoping to get a new set of rims and tires for the summer and use the stocker rims with snow tires for the winter. By then the Pirelli's will have 40k on them (I put 26k per year on my SRT) and will be ready to be replaced. For saving $$ I think they have been worth it.

Old 10-25-2005, 04:04 AM
Pressurecooker
Record Breaker

Dude, You do not have to spend big money to be way good in the snow. Our local junkyard gets 5.00 for a steel rim sans tire. Then you go to Pep Boys and buy their store brand snow which is made by Cornell for about 70.00 new and you will be so far better off than you are now it aint funny. Granted, they not the ultimate in tire technology and you don't want to go 140 mph on them, but they are a real snow tire and as such, are worlds better than your stock tire or any all season tire. Firestone dealers here in Michigan also have a real snow tire with a directional tread that looks real good for about the same price a the Pep Boys tire. I can testify the Pepboys tire works. I have a set of 4 on my 2wd one legger pickup truck and it goes like hell in the snow. What you want in general is; tall and skinny with a fine (small) block tread pattern. Lots of sipes. Something like a 205 70 15 or a 195 70 15. Forget about super responsive dry pavement handling for a while and smile widely to the yahoos stuck on the side of the road as you tractor on by. Ok, you could offer them a ride.

Old 10-26-2005, 08:22 PM
RIPSIGUY
Captain

+2 on that one. " High performance all-season" is an oxymoron. Do the steelies and some cheap 15" snows. "Ultra high performance All-season" is just a flat out lie.
ORIGINAL: PSI Chick

all season tires are usless. get a set of dedicated snow tires. the best thing is to get a set of 15" steelies and mount some blizaks to them, you'll be good to go in the snow.

Old 10-26-2005, 11:11 PM
dubvipers
Record Breaker

i don't have a car but try finding tires that are all seasons with a good tread pattern and a lot of rubber that can contact the ground well, probably like a Nitto or Pirelli if you don't care, or for watery places, Eagle F1

Old 10-29-2005, 12:12 PM
bigham
Veteran

so the stockies (15") from a regular neon will fit our srt-4's and also what size snow tires can fit on there

Old 10-29-2005, 11:06 PM
LilSparkPlug
Champion

My all seasons were kick *** last winter, 225/40HR18M&S Kelly Chargers. Cheap fkn tires...yes. Good in the snow? Unbelieveable! So while not every all season is good in the snow, the kelly's were awesome.Unfortunately they're discontinued. It also has a lot to do with your driving style. Grandma here, and her SRT-4 (me), do awesome in the snow....LOL Im just gonna order some steelies offline I think, since I cant seem to find anything cheaper than 220 offline, brand new, for the wheels.

And considering its snowing right now here in RI....I think putting new wheels/tires on is something Ill NEED to do in the next couple of weeks......like....fkn PRONTO!

Old 11-07-2005, 03:23 AM
RED04_SRT4

I agree. I use studded 15 inch Goodyear Ultra Grips . Excellent snow and ice tire.

Old 11-11-2005, 12:17 AM
69boss

I ordered a set of these for $390 mounted and shipped, scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

Discount Tire SRT deal

Old 11-11-2005, 09:06 AM
SPEEDYSRT

I went with the Toyo GO2+ snow tires in stock size, on my original rims. They were around 500 for the set mounted and balanced, with road hazard. Maybe a little pricey, but my piece of mind is worth it. This will be my first winter with snow, I'm not taking any chances. My drive to work will be about 40 miles on the highway each way, I also do all the driving when my wife and I go anywhere (this is a total safety precaution in any weather!!). My initial impressions are good. Grip is great on a dry road, tires are relatively quiet. Of course after 28,000 miles in this car with the original tires, the stock and then mopar exhaust, I'm not sure what quiet is anymore! I'm hoping the new rubber will last for 3 or 4 seasons. I'm gonna leave them on the stock rims and pick up some new rims and tires after winter. I'll post an update after my first romp in the snow or on ice with these things!

Thanks for all the suggestions and input!

SPEEDY.

Quick Reply: Snow and the SRT-4