Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

#4 Spark Plug Wire

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 12:32 AM
megaman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: #4 Spark Plug Wire

i am thinking of going msd as well but my stock wires are holding out so far and i put 9000+ on them. i noticed the evil white color creeping on to my # 4 wire [:'(]and brought it to the attention of the techs that serviced my car at my last oil change (64k) i had checked the wire before hand and besides the white color on the plastic sheath, it did not feel weakened or cracked, and most importantly no exposed wire. as from what i can tell from the service invoice, they didn't replace it, but they did wipe of the white residue. and still no problems. i don't know if it's be cause i work nights and when it not in the garage it not exposed to the sun's heat during the day, in combination with my practice on idling the engine a bit to cool down before shut off the engine, then popping the hood when calling it a day. however i will remain vigilant.

Old 04-09-2004, 12:59 AM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

I follow a similar routine...Drive to work before dawn, park car in covered parking, the main heat comes on the drive home, car is garaged at home. After seeing the wire in the condition it was in a few days ago, I also started popping the hood after I get home in the afternoon. With summer coming on and the temps down here in Texas already flirting with 90, I'll also top-off the coolant as well....

I was amazed at the amount of heat coming off the engine/turbo after a "normal" drive....WOW!!! No wonder the hood is the first spot to dry after a rain!!! Thank goodness for synthetic oil!!![sm=smiley36.gif][sm=smiley4.gif][sm=smiley36.gif]

Old 04-09-2004, 01:52 AM
doof432
Veteran

I was just about ready to put them on my car which has 1600 miles on it. I looked at my #4 wire and it is still perfect. I thought about replacing it with msd wires and then decided why waste the $50??? That is covered under warranty. Every 6 months or so, just go to the dealership and demand a new pair for free.

Old 04-09-2004, 06:16 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: dustyloins

The MSD wires went on without a hitch, even with me doing it!!!! One thing I discovered was the plug wire sheaths won't fit the MSD wires due to the 90 degree angle of the connector end. That's no problem since the 90 angle takes the wire out of harms way from the turbo heat....and the red wires look a lot sexier than the stock!!![sm=smiley4.gif]
I used the ones off my R/T and it was a perfect fit, but because they were off the R/T they are black. I got the MSD's in black since the R/T was white, black and blue, red just wouldn't have looked quite right. The MSD coil only comes in red and it stood out like a sore thumb on the R/T. The red would look great on the SRT-4 though, it would match the calipers nicely.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 04-09-2004, 12:53 PM
dustyloins
Hall of Fame Member

Yep, and what's interesting is I've had more comments from people about the red brake calipers than anything else (other than the speed of the car)...[sm=smiley5.gif]

Old 04-10-2004, 07:48 AM
megaman
Professional

so our srt-4 have red shoes....they're magic, and they make our srt-4's go faster.

Old 04-10-2004, 10:50 AM
dustyloins
Hall of Fame Member

Yep, there's a gerbil inside each one, running on a treadmill...[sm=smiley36.gif]

Old 04-12-2004, 04:08 AM
megaman
Professional

so does that mean we have gerbil power vs. horse power? i've never seen a gerbil, it must be cause there so fast?

Old 04-12-2004, 06:01 AM
Executioner
Rookie

I have gone about 3500 miles on the stock wires and not seen a problem. I am going to replace them soon anyways but all I hear about are the MSD wires. I like MSD but I have a yellow SRT and ACCEL makes a set of yellow spark plug wires for it. Has anyone heard anything about those are have any experience with them?

Old 04-12-2004, 08:07 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Accels are great wires as well, it's just that the MSD's have less resistance so they provide a little better spark. They are also really thick and well insulated against heat. I have Accel 8.8mm 300+ Race Wires on my Roadrunner and I'm happy with them. I also had Accel Super Stock wires, which are yellow, on my '88 Shelby Z and they were fine except that my Shelby Z was red.

Quick Reply: #4 Spark Plug Wire