Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

New Engine parts starting to arrive...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005 | 03:04 PM
MChat
|
Captain
Default RE: New Engine parts starting to arrive...

Thanks

Not sure on the rings, they're the ones CP sent with the pistons.

The installed deck height on these will be .005" below. The valve reliefs are also cut for an 18/16 cam combo, should I ever decide to go with a stand alone EMS. The pictures also make the relief edges look sharper than they actually are, but we cleaned them up a bit anyhow before they were sent off to be ceramic coated.

Old 12-10-2005 | 05:09 PM
Gary Howell
Professional

Run 16 or 18's with that would not be a good combination for the turbo. Now Crane can do a custom grind if your serious. The cams have nothing to do with a stand alone system at all. You can run a stand alone on the stock cams if you so desire. Make sure you run a quality ring on those pistons.

Old 12-10-2005 | 10:10 PM
MChat
|
Captain

The reason I'd want to run a standalone w/ the 18/16 (Crane #18 intake, #16 exhaust) combo is to move the rev limit up to about 7k or so, as that cam combination would really benefit from the extra revs. I'd probably step up to a GT35 or GT40 turbo at the same time if I did that.

Old 12-10-2005 | 10:46 PM
Gary Howell
Professional

If you want bigger cams just get some custom grinds from Crane. When we help Crane with the R&D testing on the cams years ago we discussed bigger cams for racing. There are many availible, ones they did for us, some the did for Darrell ***, and others. They are alot availible.

Stand alone is not that hard to do any more with the Distributor that replaces the cam sensor, and then the Accel DFI which is probably the best stand alone on the market gives you full control.

Personally, I would not run alot of boost on those pistons. I for see that happing. That piston had sharp edges, car went lean at 27 psi.

Old 12-11-2005 | 01:35 AM
MChat
|
Captain

Hmmm going lean @27 psi is bad news no matter which piston you're using

Old 12-11-2005 | 04:29 PM
Gary Howell
Professional

ORIGINAL: MChat

Hmmm going lean @27 psi is bad news no matter which piston you're using
I understand that completely. What bothers me alot about that pistons is the thin edges created by the valve reliefs. Even if they didn't want to use the performance dome, they still could have made it a flat top and not needed valve reliefs. On boosted applications you want to eliminate hot spots, and they actually created some with that design. The piston will work and work well for a mild street application, but my honest opinion is I would use stock over those if you try to put a larger amount of boost on them.

I discussed those pistons with Ed Peters he is not a fan of them either.

Quick Reply: New Engine parts starting to arrive...