Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

OK guys and girls, I have a real stumper here

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005 | 11:25 PM
TRAV
|
Rookie
Default OK guys and girls, I have a real stumper here

I haven't been running my car lately, I'm storing it in my garage. So i went out to start it tonight. I then let it idle up to running temp and reved it a couple times. Next thing I know it sounds like a gang of Indians whooping in my garage. Picture the old westerns with the indians charging going whoo, whoo, whoo, you know like when you were little making the noise and putting your hand over your mouth. It sounds exactly like that, really loud. It goes away when you rev it up a little and when you shut the car off it continues for a little bit, almost like the turbo slowing down. I can pinpoint where its coming from exactly sounds louder under the car. It's an '04 with 4500 miles. K&N typhoon, mopar exaust, boost controller. Thats all the engine mods. Remember, it didn't start until i let it warm up and rev it.
Thanks everyone, I need all the help i can get.

Old 12-08-2005 | 11:27 PM
TRAV
|
Rookie
Default RE: OK guys and girls, I have a real stumper here

i'm sorry (can't) pinpoint where it's coming from

Old 12-09-2005 | 12:06 AM
TRAV
|
Rookie

OK, i figured it out. I took the breather hose and T'd it into my catch can. I guess after it sucked up all the air in the catch can system it started making that noise. See i thought the breather blew more than sucked (this is starting to sound bad), so that's why i tapped it into the catch can(to catch the oil). But when the car is idling, it is sucking. Maybe it's the other way around when you're on the throttle. So now i have the breather just kind of hanging there for now and no more noise.

Old 12-09-2005 | 12:45 AM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

I know of more than one person that does that. It's not exactly eco-friendly, and if your state inspection is tough, you won't pass. But, you can't get much more simple....!!!!

Dusty

Old 12-09-2005 | 01:44 AM
wordslayer
Captain

let me get this straight.....you go to the garage and start your car and it sounds like whooping indians.

Solution:

You accidently got into your wife's Jeep Cherokee.

Glad you got it solved!

Old 12-09-2005 | 02:05 AM
TRAV
|
Rookie

I'm telling you...it sounded terrible.

Old 12-09-2005 | 03:55 AM
BlackDragon
Rookie

your pcv valve might be stuck open... Take it out and shake it, it should rattle...

Old 12-09-2005 | 04:05 AM
Pressurecooker
Record Breaker

Had the same thing happen to me one time out of a year that I've had the car about 3 months ago. Got to the end of my drive, got out to close the gate behind me, the engine was still cold. I heard this terrible screeching/ hooting and had a fog of some sort coming out from under the hood. By the time I got the hood up, It had stopped. I looked all over, listened, revved the engine. Nothing. I did, quite some time later find my OCC hose collapsed. I have since replaced it with a much better quality fuel hose but that sound never happened agian. The engine runs strong and quiet. It was WEIRD.

Old 12-09-2005 | 03:06 PM
RIPSIGUY
Captain

ORIGINAL: wordslayer

let me get this straight.....you go to the garage and start your car and it sounds like whooping indians.

Solution:

You accidently got into your wife's Jeep Cherokee.

Glad you got it solved!

A ghetteo oil catch can; $20.00 on debit card
A gallon of 109 octane unleaded; $9.00 on debit card.

Wordslayers quote: Priceless. I LMAO when I read that!

Happy Holidays everyone!

Quick Reply: OK guys and girls, I have a real stumper here