Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

Nervous Nancy has a question again

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 11:20 PM
SRT_YA
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nervous Nancy has a question again

Hey kids,

Another quick question here: I am completely new to the turbo game in cars, I know of them, know they make lot's of power, etc... but... I have never owned one, so... with that in mind - - I keep seeing values of ~15 psi when operating at WOT, however, I am only producing roughly 10 psi. I was under the assumption this 15 value was on "stock" cars (such as mine is)... so, if this is a correct assumption, where is my other 5 psi? Is there a leak? I do hear a whoosh of air coming from the front, but again... I have never owned a turbo - so... that might just be normal... and I might just be a little paranoid

either way... just for the curious, the car has ~1300 miles on it and is complete stock, short of the floormats

Old 04-20-2004, 11:26 PM
doof432
Veteran
Default RE: Nervous Nancy has a question again

if I know right, that is the computer shutting it down. Mine really came alive when it got to 1500 miles. I never had noticed if mine only went to 10 psi, but it probably did. Also, that whoosh sound you here is the turbo releasing back pressure (I think). When you buy the $60 blow off valve, it really make a loud whooshing sound that can really scare away any competition stupid enough to pick on you...

Old 04-20-2004, 11:31 PM
SRT_YA
Record Breaker

If that's the case Doof, then I need to go drive around another 200 or so miles tonight hehehehe....

I thought the blow off worked when you backed off the throttle, the whoosh I am getting is during acceleration. Like I said, this may be normal, never owned a turbo before...

Old 04-20-2004, 11:36 PM
doof432
Veteran

not real sure about it doing that when you get on the throttle unless you are hearing it suck air through the filter, I have never noticed that before...

I was driving around with my grandmother in the car when mine crossed over to 1500 miles and it picked up very noticably. I was not getting on it at all with her in the car, but it was still a very noticable difference.
When you get 1500 on it it gets even better.

Old 04-20-2004, 11:44 PM
glhs837

You should hear a faint whistling sound when gettin on it. That is the turbo going like 60K rpms. When you get OFF the throttle, you should hear a slight spoooshh sound. Thats the BOV, venting pressurised air back into the intake tract. All normal sounds. Don't sweat boost levels til almost 2K. Just enjoy the car getting quicker, and it WILL get quicker

Old 04-21-2004, 02:44 AM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

That's a 10-4...the computer will boost your power later on down the road, according to your miles, one of the reasons they ask for your mileage when you order a Stage 1.....[sm=smiley4.gif]

Old 04-21-2004, 04:40 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Atmospheric pressure/altitude can have an effect on how much boost it will put out. The wooshing sound is either the turbo boosting or the waste gate allowing some of the exhaust to bypass the turbo and go straight out the exhaust pipe, this is what limits your amount of boost.

I always heard the whistle of the turbo on my Shelby Z's, but I have never heard it once on my SRT-4.[sm=smiley13.gif]

Old 04-21-2004, 05:29 AM
byebye
Veteran

The PCM also adjusts to air density. If it is cold outside you will get less psi than when it is hot. At around 1000 miles I was spiking to 15 psi then down to 11 psi when the ambient temp was around 50-60. When I was down south where ambient was around 80-90 I was spiking to 16 psi then holding at 14 psi. As for the swoosh sound, that's the airbox and motor and turbo. There is definately alot more noise under the hood than an N/A car. I suggest the mopar BOV conversion if you're on a budget. If not than get an upgraded up-pipe with the BOV flange and get an aftermarket BOV. Some noticed a loss in boost pressure after installing the Mopar BOV but I didn't. I would rather have the up-pipe and BOV because you don't get the part blows and peeps from the mopar BOV.

Old 04-21-2004, 06:10 AM
Barneydriver
Captain

I have 450 miles on mine (I only live about 5 miles from base) and I hold about 12 psi in 1st and a constant 14 at wot in the rest- the ambient temp here in the northwest right now is pretty constant at 50-60 deg.

Old 04-21-2004, 06:21 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is the same as mine, usually it's a steady 14psi at WOT(1st goes by too fast for me to be able to tell). However, when I jumped into it last week when it had rained it only got up to 12 or 13psi.

Quick Reply: Nervous Nancy has a question again