Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

My first 2 kills.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 06:10 PM
SRT_YA
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My first 2 kills.....

ORIGINAL: dlowman

I personally haved killed many an SRT on the highway. Don't underestimate the STi. And a Modded WRX is not an Sti. They don't share anything but the body. The differentials, brakes, transmission, suspension, and engine are all completely different.

I raced a stock STi in a 2001 Cobra... The STi won, not by much... but he beat us from a stop light start... the Cobra I am pretty sure can beat my SRT... hence, using this logic, the STi should beat my SRT... and about the SRT having a higher top end, does it matter? do people really race up to 150mph? that doesn't make much sense then...

I think Jeff just wants to **** in the pool... no big deal man... I think my post before summed it up best

Old 05-01-2004, 03:38 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The reason I have a slightly different definition of the term "rice" than you is simple. People were calling all the Japanese imports "rice burners" long before the big wings, graphics and fart tip mufflers, I reserve the term "ricer car" for this and "ricer" for the people that do this. This is why I feel the term "rice" refers to any and all Asian import cars. I use the term "domestic ricer" for the Cavalier with the big wing, fart tip and neon lights and "ricer wannabe" for the ones that do this to domestics. It's all just a difference of opinion on the meaning, no biggie.[sm=smiley20.gif]

dlowman: The only way your STi could beat an SRT-4 on the highway is:
A. They didn't know you two were racing.
B. They got caught up in traffic.
C. Your STi is not stock, it's modified.
D. They gave up after you left them initally, not knowing that if they stick to their guns they will win.

D is the most likely, besides your Sti being modified, I have seen it happen alot. There is a video in the "Sights N' Sounds" forum where a Viper GTS loses to a pair of heavily modified GNX's because after they initally pull away from him, he gives up not realizing the fact that they are geared for the 1/4 mile and will top out long before his Viper will. If he would have just stuck with it, he would have beat them silly. The STi has a top speed of 145 MPH, the SRT-4 has a higher top speed even with the factory speed limiter in the computer.

I know about the WRX and the STi, I gave them a good look before I bought my SRT-4. The modded WRX very well could be an STi or even better than an STi, it's just a matter of how modified and what was modified. That's just like the Neon R/T could very well be made into an SRT-4 or better. The SRT-4 has little in common with the Neon R/T, they have completely different engines, brakes, transmissions, suspensions, etc. It's all just a matter of what has been done/modified.

Old 05-01-2004, 04:20 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

ORIGINAL: jeffreybt

Why on gods green earth would you compare an SRT-4 to an EVO/STi/RX8/350/Z06? Different class of car first of all you are going to have to put allot more then 10k into SRT-4 to make it handle as well as any of the above cars (you wont be able to with that frame) so there goes your price advantage. and give up this dream of thinking people “respect†you in your neon. They don’t… just like they don’t respect people who drive Ferraris. Oh and while you’re out street racing I hope you hit a tree and die…. But bring the camera so we can recover it and watch you burn to death…..

Ps. And what makes this worse is the moderators seem to support this childish behavior.. Grow up

your good friend
Jeff Thompson =)

---------------------------
The world is not a strait line you DO need to turn.
---------------------------
First things first, who mentioned a Z06 in this thread?

These are the personal experiences from SRT-4 owners and their encounters on the road with other cars. Just because they happen to be ones that you hold up on a pedestal and worship is no reason to rag on them. The cars mentioned are higher in price and are well know for their abilities and for a lower price underdog to take on and beat them just goes to prove that they could and should be better, especially for their prices. No one has said anything about going off road through a forest and spanking an STi or besting an RX8 on a twisty mountain side road, they have only been talking straight line performance on the road. The SRT-4's main purpose is the same as the muscle cars, go straight faster than the guy next to you.

Who here said that they are looking for respect? Who needs respect when the more expensive cars are only seen through the rear veiw mirror.

As to the childish behavior, who here has been more childish than you with your, "Oh and while you’re out street racing I hope you hit a tree and die…. But bring the camera so we can recover it and watch you burn to death….. " comment? This not only shows childish behavior, it also appears to be petty flaming as well.

Old 05-01-2004, 04:27 PM
sdogg3kgt

Thanks 71RoadRunner for saying it. The SRT-4 like the muscle cars are made to be fast in a straight line. People that are stupid enough to spend more money and buy an STi or an RX8 don't give a **** about going fast only. They want the overall package of performance, handling, and quality.

A stock WRX goes 145mph btw. Don't argue with me on that one because we have one bone stock one, and a modified one. I have never tried to top out the STi, but if the top speed is 145mph it's only because of the governor.

And I fully agree with you on how stupid the comment was about hitting a tree. I don't have any respect whatsoever for street racing, but if people choose to do it they have to deal with the consequences. Wishing death upon somebody is just wrong though.

Old 05-01-2004, 05:00 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

If we're lucky maybe the guy that posted that won't honor us with his presence again......[:'(]

Old 05-02-2004, 04:19 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

According to Car & Driver, the STi has a top speed of 145 MPH, I was just going by their information on it. I always have liked the STi's, I even considered buying one. I prefer 2 doors, so the 2.5 RS was more up my alley, but they quit making them in 2 door. My plan would have been to STi a 2.5 RS, now that would have been really fun. The SRT-4's handle great, but they are not as well planted as a lower slung lighter sports car. One of my only complaints about the SRT-4 is that it has a really high center of gravity, it's taller than any car that I've ever owned. My R/T was fairly tall, but it is not as tall as the SRT-4 and the R/T would out handle alot of the high end sports cars.[sm=smiley2.gif]

Old 05-02-2004, 09:22 AM
Barneydriver
Captain

Man- I was hoping this wouldn't happen- if you go over to srtforums.com you'll see all of this trolling and flaming over there, which is why I spend most of my time here. Here I am sitting in Al Udeied, Qatar, looking to relax a little and enjoy the thread, and someone has to start talking s**t.
First, if you're not a dodge fan, fine, but you're in the wrong place. What exactly do you hope to accomplish by bashing the SRT in a forum called SRT 4?
Second, most of the regulars here are intelligent people who don't just post arbitrary numbers, so there's no need to insult someone for making a claim- just go read their other posts and you'll see they're credible. Yes, we make mistakes, but if you've never made one yourself you're either the Son of God or delusional.
Most people here have no problem with imports, they have chosen to buy a dodge. As for me, my other vehicle is an '03 Mitsu Montero LTD- the money wasn't the issue- I looked at Evo's, STi's, and even S4's and M3's, and the reason I chose the srt 4 was because my wife had a neon in college and I drove it a lot and really enjoyed tinkering with it. The STi is tougher to tune because of the "fly-by-wire" system. The Evo lacks the horses and is based on old technology- it got punished so badly in WRC that they didn't even field a car last year, and this year's new design has been having major problems-they're having difficulty even finishing a race. The SRT 4 is lighter than all the others and has the potential to be much faster. And for 99.9% of all the USA, front wheel drive is just as effective as AWD- How often do you really go down a dirt or snowy road at 120 MPH? And RR is right- Neons consistently put up top showings at SCCA.
Bottom line: People here like the SRT 4, have good reasons for buying it, are intelligent, and may embellish things because of it- WHO CARES?! If you can't handle it, fine, but don't harass people by trying to prove a point no one cares about, regardless of whether it's true or not.
Guess I'll get off my soap box now...

Old 05-02-2004, 07:22 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Hey bro', "preach" as much as you want....you've more than earned the right!!!![sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 05-02-2004, 07:49 PM
roachnigga
Record Breaker

Amen!!

Old 05-02-2004, 09:24 PM
bigddy9
Record Breaker

Hey sdogg3kgt, what is that comment about "it'll always be a Neon" about? What is that supposed to mean? Fast is fast, what difference does it make? I've personally driven a 350HP Buick Roadmaster Wagon, does that make it any less impressive? It was fast, does it matter that it was a Buick wagon? I guess I'm just sick of getting s**t about driving a Neon. Remember, a WRX is just an Imprezza. Sorry, Subaru wasn't setting the performance world on fire with the Imprezza. How about that bastion of performance history we know as the Honda Civic? Besides, if it's just a Neon, that Mustang driver must be pretty embarrassed that he got smoked by it. Kinda like losing an *** kicking contest to a one legged man! One of my buddies with an 03 Accord said the same thing until he got a ride in the "Neon". He doesn't talk s**t anymore. All muscle cars started in some way as an economy car. Small car, big engine. That's the point.

Danny