Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

SRT-4 AWD Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 04:12 AM
fhblake04
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SRT-4 AWD Conversion?

Well, some ideas maybe...What is the cheapest AWD you can find that would be simple to adapt to the SRT-4. The 1st Gen Eclipse GSX would be my first pick if you really want somewhere to start. The tranny in going to your first problem...supposedly they are weak. The regular FWD first generation Eclipse’s also don't have a rear independent suspension. The GSX might. The AWD system is fairly simple bc it isn't computer controlled in any way like the newer EVO's and STI’s. The STI's AWD system is definitely out of the question. As is any older Subie. The engines in Subaru’s are longitudinally mounted. You might be able to get your hands on the Tranny, differentials, and axels from an EVO III. This would be interesting. I believe the EVO III and Neon are about the same length and width. I think it would be to much work for the average Joe. An a$$ of money as well, would be fun though! Where there’s a will, there’s a way.

Old 01-24-2006, 05:00 AM
Pressurecooker
Record Breaker

I have 3 questions; 1) Why? 2)How much you looking to spend? 3) Why again?

Well as donors there are a lot of choices like the ones listed above. I also think an awd minivan drivetrain may be useable and not super expensive.

IF I was to bother, I might use another engine and transaxle from another SRT-4 and mount it in the rear. I don't think I'd use the all wheel steering capability, but could, and I may no longer have a trunk or much of a back seat, but it would have 460 hp and 500 ft lbs of torque and would be aweful fast.

But I will not bother.

Old 01-25-2006, 12:33 PM
BigE
Veteran

The best way is to put another SRT-4 engine in the trunk and make a dual engine SRT-4. But good luck shifting both. Maybe try making the one in the rear an automatic out of a PT cruiser. Or make both automatics. So ya' same idea as pressurecooker.

Quick Reply: SRT-4 AWD Conversion?