Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

Fried Clutch and other questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 11:31 PM
winniep
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fried Clutch and other questions

1. Is it bad when you start to smell clutch? I got it hot doing a burn out and slipped it. After letting the car cool, the clutch feels and acts fine. Been driving it for about 4 days now with issues. The problem is that now everytime I stop the car, I smell a little clutch. Did I destroy mine? Will it be OK or is it time to upgrade? 9650 miles had stg 2 for 5000 or so.

2. Hard starts for about a month now. I have MSD wires with NGK Iridium colder plugs. I've heard our cars devour plugs and wires and have had this set up for about 7000 miles. Time for a new set? The car takes about 4-6 seconds to start and sometimes acts like it is going to stall out before starting, but finally catches and starts. This mostly happens after about 5 or more hours of sitting. Where could I find some 9mm wires?

3.What is the best octane booster? NOS? Lucas? STP? I've heard the NOS is good. Any coments and experience would be greatly appreciated.

4. The best performance enhancing 3 inch turboback exhaust that is relatively quiet (Mopar/Borla ish).

5. Who sells the big FMIC crash bars? I've seen them before for like $165 can't find them again. It's the one that is like 2 bars you can't see with the bumper on.

Old 09-07-2006, 01:40 AM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Default RE: Fried Clutch and other questions

1) burning a little clutch dosent hurt anything. however, if you keep smellingit every time you drive, it may be slippin a bit.

2) even on stock setup i suffered from hard starts, but once it runs for a second its fine. about 25k and replaced wires/plugs already. might be time to check up on em again.

3) what do you need such a high octain mode... you arent thinking about trying to hit the red button on your toy panel are you? best to just find the liquid gold type fuel somewhere that sells actual racing fuels

4) cant really tell ya

5)are you looking for one that will fit around an aftermarket intercooler or a stock piece?

Old 09-07-2006, 04:10 AM
PSI Chick
Champion

1. sounds like you glazed the clutch. normally it's not a big deal and it will go back to normal, however if you're still smelling it it's probably done.

2. check plugs and wires, but more commonly hard starts are caused by the pos fuel pumps that we have. throw in a walboro and it should help quite a bit. for now, allow the system to pressurize for a few seconds before starting the car.

3. if you're attempting to use hom on an octane booster the only one i know of that will work is torco. but as already mentioned, it's much better to use real race gas rather than an additive.

4. 3" turboback and quiet don't belong in the same sentence. there are ways to make them a little quieter, but they will always be kinda loud. a system that uses a muffler like maxxfab or cti would be your best bet. another option is to have a resinator installed, they help more than you think.

5. slowboyracing

Old 09-07-2006, 10:55 PM
winniep
Veteran

I talked to the guy that usually does all of my clutch work and he said that alot of times when you smoke your clutch it will smell for a week or two. He said as long as it feels good and there's no sign of slipping on hard roll ons it should be OK. However, he also said that with stg 2, a new clutch is probably in my not too far off future.

What are some good aftermarket clutches for stg 3 and beyond?

I was wondering where to find a good 9mm set of plug wires. I will also be getting stg 3 pretty soon so I will be upgrading the fuel pump. Don't know how it compares to a walbro though.

I usually do run 104, but I would like to find a good booster for the rare case I run into someone on the street who is too big for his britches.

Maxxfabb 3 inch pretty good?

Thanks for all the info and assistance.

Old 09-08-2006, 04:10 AM
PSI Chick
Champion

the stock clutch is just fine for s2, no need to upgrade. if you're going s3 then an upgrade is definetly in order. i highly recommend the cm s4.

s3 comes with a walboro 255, but apparently they were all made on monday morning and have a lovely habbit of failing. replace it with a new 255. sound retarded but believe me it's worth it.

torco.

yes, it's one of if not the best exhaust systems out there for the srt.

Old 09-08-2006, 05:00 AM
04_T_4
Rookie

Where can one find the maxxfabb 3" exhaust?

Old 09-08-2006, 05:33 PM
Plan B
Captain

ORIGINAL: 04_T_4

Where can one find the maxxfabb 3" exhaust?
www.maxxfab.com

Quick Reply: Fried Clutch and other questions