Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

Updated Car problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006 | 04:46 PM
redevil
All Star
Default RE: Updated Car problem

My car used to do that...the whole resting on 10 and when I drove Vac. was at 24.I tighten every hose in the car and fixed a few boost leaks, that fixed the problem, so i don't think it's your gauge but it wouldn't hurt to try a new one.I strongly suggest to check for boost leaks

Old 12-21-2006 | 12:35 AM
jac05srt4
|
Professional

well, can you give me an idea of whathoses to tighten down. i have some idea, and i will go through it tomorrow morning again. i didnt know that the boost gauge would show a leak, by sitting at vac 10. hopefully the new dealership openingup down the road will have hire people that know something.

Old 12-21-2006 | 01:43 AM
greenmachine98

when i put my intercooler piping on i didn't put one of the pipes on tight enough. as soon as i went wot the pipe popped off!!! the sound i heard was just like the sounds and descriptionsyou described. make sure your intercooler piping is tight. i'm not sure if that could be it but it's worth a shot. i would put my money on that if i were a betting man. . . . well i am so. . . i am!! LOL good luck.

Old 12-21-2006 | 02:11 AM
waylon

make sure you go to a dealership that actually sells srt models as they should have ppl actually trained to deal with them. srt is a franchise and not all dealerships sell them however ive had pretty good luck with my non srt dealer so far.

Old 12-21-2006 | 12:05 PM
redevil
All Star

dealerships suck!!!! you got better chances taking your car to a good shop.But yeah man...make sure all your hoses are tight and in place, if the problem doesn't go away then check for boost leaks, they are very common in srt4s and other turbocharged engines.

Old 12-21-2006 | 12:45 PM
Burnnout
All Star

If your boost gauge is sitting at 10 with the car off... your only problem is a broken boost gauge.... this is not uncommon I got mine replaced 3 times.

Old 12-21-2006 | 03:31 PM
jac05srt4
|
Professional

well i agree that the boost gauge is probably broken, but i still have that damn sound around 10 vac, it sounds like a bad vibration. i was thinking it was the connectio behind the turbo. can anyone tell me what is the easiest way to tighten that one up, because i have big hands. also on the throttle body connection from the intercooler there is black residue. i got it all over my hands. i have had a catch can for a long time, so i am puzzled. but i am sure that i could just be stuff from anywhere since i drive the car everywhere. thanks again for the input.

as for the dealership, they are a srt dealership, thats why i drive 30 miles to see them. thanks again. if the mechanic has any concerns about the info i have for him, i am going to print some of these topics off of here to give him proof on what to look for. thanks.

Old 12-21-2006 | 04:52 PM
srtbris

well I think it could be the boost gauge. a friend and I hooked one up on beetle and the line that hooks up to the gauge kept poping of and the car was makinga noise that could be the problem unless the srt-4 gauge is electric wich I doubt.. check the hoses of the intake manifold orthe selinods

Old 12-21-2006 | 05:08 PM
PSI Chick
Champion

ORIGINAL: waylon

make sure you go to a dealership that actually sells srt models as they should have ppl actually trained to deal with them. srt is a franchise and not all dealerships sell them however ive had pretty good luck with my non srt dealer so far.
there is no such thing as "trained" techs on our cars. they get trained on the viper, that's it. so don't think that a srt certified dealer knows any more about your car than any other dealer, because they don't. they'll just charge you more for you to find that out.

if your boost gauge is sitting at -10 when the car is off it's shot. get a new one. there's no debate about that. as for the boost leaks, every car has them. you need to check them on a regular basis (i do mine at least once a month, or the day before i go to the track, every time).

Old 12-21-2006 | 05:13 PM
jac05srt4
|
Professional

just to give me more insight, is there a particular place that boost leaks occur more than other places? i am going to get a new boost gauge, as i will demand that. if he wants to replaces vac lines, thats fine, i dont mind free parts, but i just hope he knows what he's doing. tomorrow my wife will be at home with me, so i will have to get her help on those hard to reach places.

Quick Reply: Updated Car problem