Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

aftermarket exhast/cai?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006 | 06:49 PM
MAssSrTdriven
|
Professional
Default aftermarket exhast/cai?

anyone know the best style after market exhaust set up? i know mopar has one, injen, corsa, dc, then theres the injen/dc style ebay replicas. im just looking for the best performance exhaust for the car. now i know ill have to get a larger downpipe setup, what about new turbo exhaust manifold? pretty much im looking for a complete set up any ideas?
also looking for a cold air intake setup. what do you think is the best one out there? i know i am gunna hear that its all the same or personal likes, just didnt know if anyone has had experiance with other brands and knew if one was better than the other?

Old 12-23-2006 | 10:41 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Default RE: aftermarket exhast/cai?

Yup, you're gonna get a ton of opinions on your questions...........good luck!!!!

Dusty

Old 12-23-2006 | 10:56 PM
PSI Chick
Champion

to be honest, an intake is an intake and a exhaust is an exhaust. they all give you the same performance in the end. what you need to decide on is styling and who has the better quality pieces. personally, i have a maxxfab 3" tbe and a jmb cai, and i think those are the best pieces out there (i've had quite a few of them too lol).

Old 12-24-2006 | 01:46 AM
greenmachine98

i want a downpipe and exhaust that will deliver without so much the sound. i don't want any attention from certain people because thosepeople i have in mindlike to pick on you and give you certain tickets that wined up taking away from your toy fund. . . sorry for going on a rant there but i hate it when it happens. anyway, back to the exhaust. i know the sound is going to change dramatically but i don't want the loudest one on the market. any ideas??

Old 12-24-2006 | 03:35 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

What do you ultimately want to do with the car, how much power are you wanting, what all mods do you plan on doing? These things are a factor in which you will want to get as it can have an effect on the overall outcome and youwill save money by buying the right one for what your goal is instead of buying one and having to get another down the road.

Old 12-24-2006 | 04:33 AM
Pressurecooker
Record Breaker

I dont know if you have to have a cat or are worried about warranties but what your asking for is either the maxxfab turbo back with muffler or the Perrin turbo back which is essentially the same but polished and more money. Both use the transverse Camaro style Magnaflow muffler and are 3" from turbo back and both are stainless. So go with the maxx unless you think the extra 200 for polishing is worth it then go with the Perrin. Ultimate flow will be something 3" inch all the way from turbo back and there are a number of ways to get that. I for example, will have a Maxxfab 3"o2 to a 3" catless dp connected to a 3" Corsa cat back. It will be rather loud.
Intakes? probably Mopar or JMB, but I guess AEM is identicle to theMopar. JMB is probably the best as I tend to believe what PSI Chick says scince she has lived it and is deep into the SRT scene on the east coast. Here in Kalamazoo, we dont have enough SRT-4's to create a "scene" Wherever I go, I am always the only one. Hard to compare notes that way.

Old 12-24-2006 | 04:54 AM
greenmachine98

right now i have a wga, cai, front mount, ic piping, and it's stage 1.i know i waited very late in my project to get one in but i just didn't want the car to sound too different. but now it's too late for the sound with all the popping!! i want to get the most i can out of that car without messing it up. i want to pull the most reliable horsepower out of my 04 as i can. so maybe a stage 2 and eventually down the road a stage 3. so the best exhaust now would be the maxxfab then! sounds like a plan! anything else i might need to know?

Old 12-25-2006 | 02:03 PM
Aceburner
Veteran

Well I've been doing a lot or research on the car and had a lot of questions like you. If you want to start getting horsepower, get a plan in your head on where and what you want the car to be, wheather race, show or whatever you want. Honestly if you want HP dont even bother with Stage 2 unless your going to do a custom set up which in itself is a lot of work. Stage 3 is the easiest best way to get HP. I've seen many people do custom set-ups and get some serious HP but you have to know a lot about tuning and such. I rather not go to far in that direction so I plan on Stgae 3 myself. Set that plan and then put it in motion. Works fine for me.

Old 12-26-2006 | 09:45 AM
redevil
All Star

look man...if you scared of tickets and stuff then don't bother moding your car!!I suggest you start buying carbon fiver mods and make it a show car.I already got 1 ticket....like 2 months ago, and I had a resonator on my exhaust.This is supp. to make the car quieter, but the officer didn't think so.So that pissed me off, the next day I took the exhaust to a muffler shop and asked them to make it full 3' all the way to the back, no resonators, NO NOTHING.Funny think is now i drive by cops and they don't even look at me, and my car sound way much louder.what I mean is, if your gonna get a ticket then your gonna get it, it wasn't your day that's all.I say you get a 3' catback exh. and stop worrying about tickets and cops!!!as far as CAIs, AEM or mopar...those are my choices, i got a K&N but planning on getting rid of it pretty soon

Old 12-26-2006 | 10:14 AM
greenmachine98

your right with that. you actually hit the nail on the head. but i'm not one to make my car look fast and lack on the performance part. i was just curious as to any companies making an exhaust that sounds quieter yet provides the same hp gains. i've had 5 tickets since i've lived in texas and 5 before that in arizona. i've had my share of tickets so if there is something out there that has the same performance but is less noticable then i'm gonna go with that. after checking out as many exhaust as i could i see my car will never sound the same either. butmy cardoesn't even sound like how it used to now that i have so many things done to it. i just want to take all those little extra precautions if there are any. i don't need anymore attention from my good o local policeman/woman!!

Quick Reply: aftermarket exhast/cai?