Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

EGT vs. Wideband

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 05:29 PM
Plan B
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGT vs. Wideband

I'm having a little trouble deciding which route to go. I imagine both would be the best setup, but cureently I am ballin on a budget. my Maxxfab S.E.E. arrives today, and with that extra bung on the downpipe I was thinking about getting a wideband setup to go with it and do it all at once. But, they are quite pricey and I read in a much older post that the EGT would let you know of a problem before it happens as oppose to a wideband wich will tell you while it happens (PSI - you were up in that post). So let the discussion begin! Which would you suggest and why?

As a bonus question - I plan on getting a gauge pillar as well. What would be most beneficial to put in it in your opinion? I was thinking Oil Pressure and EGT/Wideband if a two pillar, but maybe throw a Fuel Pressure gauge in there for a triple pod pillar....

Thanks guys!

Old 02-10-2007, 06:51 AM
Plan B
Captain
Default RE: EGT vs. Wideband

No one has an opinion? That is kind of wierd for this forum! Am I just kicking a dead horse and then attempting to ride it again?

Old 02-10-2007, 11:37 AM
Burnnout
All Star

Get a wideband.

Old 02-10-2007, 12:06 PM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

i think the horse is dead... search 'wideband egt' i bet youll find LOTS

Old 02-10-2007, 03:47 PM
motorboy1
Professional

I'd go wideband in fact its what I'm in the process of doing! Just ordered a AEM I went that route due to the easy install of it. AlsoI got a three gauge piller pod to put the wideband in.I currentlyhave a two gauge pod that has a fuel pressure gauge and boostgauge in it so now ill add the wideband to the post. in the factory boost gauge location is a stewart werner tach and shift light. I really like this setup don't know yet how Ill like it with the wideband it alotta stuff going on in you face lol.I would like to also have an oil pressure but it just gets to be to much so until I find the magical perfect location for it Ill just cross my fingers, yikes!
Ithing the wide band givesa more true reading. Egt can be affected by alot of different things such as placement, depth of the probe, dirt and contamination on the sensor, just a few. All effect the reading.
I'm sure all effect the wideband too but I think not as much, Anyway its the way I went.

Old 02-11-2007, 12:14 AM
PSI Chick
Champion

both is the best option, but if you have to do one or the other, i would suggest a wideband first with a egt later on. the new widebands that are on the market react fast enough that you will be able to save your motor if something does go wrong. egt is a great tool to let you know when temps start going higher, so it's definetly a good back up.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:03 PM
srtratblock
Rookie

[8D]I have a aem wideband and a egt,they both work great.

Old 02-12-2007, 05:14 PM
Plan B
Captain

Thanks guys (and gals). There was a lot of posts already on the topic, but they seemed pretty old and with the new equipment out there I wanted a fresh perspective. Just got my MaxxFab Turbo-Back S.E.E. in the mail on Friday so i guess I'll have to order a wideband to take advantage of that extra bung. Best deal I have found was for the AEM UEGO for $275 shipped. If anyone knows of a better deal please let me know...

Quick Reply: EGT vs. Wideband