Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

Whats normal

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004 | 09:51 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Default RE: Whats normal

Here's where to check for leaks...

[IMG]local://upfiles/894/4AEBEB7E76294ED882C0AA71C2181C60.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-31-2004 | 02:51 AM
millenniumdna
|
All Star

I think i have it figured out. I was reading in the owners book that normal boost is between 11-15 PSI, however lower octane fuel will cause the car to boost less. With that being said is it safe to assume higher octane will cause the car too boost more? Im running octane boost in my car thats why im thinking maybe this is the reason shes boosting the way she is.

Old 08-31-2004 | 02:58 AM
dustyloins
Hall of Fame Member

Higher octane is mainly to prevent the engine from knocking. I've never found an octane boost in a bottle or can that lives up to it's claims. Racing gas is a different story....
What type of octane boost are you using?

Old 08-31-2004 | 03:00 AM
millenniumdna
|
All Star

im not sure the ezact name. I know its made by STP said it had the highest level allowed by law. After adding it is when i noticed the boost change from the 15s to the 16-17s

P.S i did check those areas out for leak and wasnt able to find any.

Old 09-06-2004 | 08:38 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

Cross check it's main active ingredient with your owners manual, some additives are very bad for the SRT-4's.[]

Old 09-06-2004 | 03:07 PM
dustyloins
Hall of Fame Member

Some of them don't name the active ingredient(s) just for that reason. I avoid those.

Old 09-06-2004 | 04:41 PM
glhs837

In order.

Octane boosters are a waste. Read closely, they say "RAISES OCTANE 2 POINTS!!!!!!' on the front. Upon closer inspection, it reads "Point is equivelent .1" Meannig that a whole bottle raises your octane by .1

So a tank of 93 octane with a bottle of octane boost ends up being 93.2.

The only additive proven to work as a real octane booster (and only really worth it if you need race fuel) is something called "Torco Race Fuel Accelerator" , or you can mix stuff up using toulene or xylene, but thats more chemical mixing than most folks want to do.

Millenum, what octane do you normally run? As far as leaks, how did you check ?

Old 09-07-2004 | 06:11 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

Most octane booster claim around 7-15 octane points gain, but in the small print on the back they explain how the larger gains are only possible by using the lowest octane to start out with. If you start out with 93-100 octane and put the additive into this, it will only give you 1-3 octane points if your lucky. If your gonna run an octane booster then fill up with the lowest grade crap you can find to get the most out of the booster or it's useless. Then again if you buy the good gas to start off with, it will be about the same octane as the cheap stuff with the booster, but it will be cheaper to just buy the high octane to begin with.

Old 09-08-2004 | 04:59 AM
millenniumdna
|
All Star

Millenum, what octane do you normally run? As far as leaks, how did you check ?
91 and i started the car and had my wife rev it and kinda just listened. Im not 100% sure what im looking for. Im thinking a leak is going to make some sort of sound.

An update. Im sorry to bump an old thread but i felt it needed an updated. First off i only used octane boost when i had no choice to put in cheap ARCO gas. (if you know what ARCO is aka AM/PM). I went to chevron put in 91 octane no octane boost and ran the car. Same issue. I ran that tank out got fuel again at chevron 91 octane no octane boost. Car starting boosting 13-15 not hitting the high ones anymore. Ran that tank out. filled up with 91 from chevron with octane boost, i did check the bottle it is safe for our car ill get the name next time im at the gas station my wife tossed the bottle. She started boosting high again. I think i now understand why shes boosting high. I wont be using any octane boost and i'll make damn sure to keep good fuel in her

Old 09-08-2004 | 09:04 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend

Yeah, I run nothing but Sunoco Ultra 94 octane in my SRT-4. If I get stuck out and about with the low fuel light on I may go with 92 or 93 octane, but then I just get enough to get to some more 94.

Quick Reply: Whats normal