New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

1973 dodge pickup truck d200

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 02:32 PM
GENTELSECRET01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1973 dodge pickup truck d200

We resently bought a old 1973 dodge d200 pickup truck. First we were able to start it with the key then we noticed it had a kill switch and it became the only way to start it. Now we have bought 3 batteries because it wont keep its charge, took it to a shop and they said we needed a new starter. Now it still will not stay charged it appears something keeps draining the battery. What could it be the problem? shop says it must be electrical can anyone help so we can know what we are talking about and stop dishing out money for this part and that part.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:57 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

if the battery is not holding it's charge i'd suspect the alternator before i'd suspect the starter. If you can, remove the alternator and take it to an autozone or some other chain parts store. many do a free alternator test.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:58 AM
pyrojoe22

the alternator wire runs into the cab through a plastic fitting on the firewall, which melts, and stops the function of the alternator. Simply reroute a wire through a new hole in the firewall. Cost? 60 cents for me

Old 10-09-2010, 08:06 PM
Michelethebelle
Red face 1973 Dodge D-200 battery running down

I have had this problem before! Our local parts shop has a free ignition system test...battery, alternator, & starter. This truck requires a high crank amps & quality battery or you will ruin the starter even if it is new. A good battery test is: charge up the battery, then leave the truck parked overnight, but unhook one of the battery cables. In the morning, re-hook the battery and if it held a charge "bad battery". You could have the fire-wall wire fry as the other guy suggested, but most likely your alternator is not charging properly. You should have a +/- alt gauge on the dash, but it could be faulty. Only after making sure that the alternator & battery are ok, should you be looking at the starter. I would stay away from the shop where they told you to check that first. Sounds like they are parts changers, not mechanics.
I try not to take my truck to anyone who is younger than my vehicle! I love this old Dodge, I am on my 2nd engine and have put about $15,000 into my truck (incl tires & new engine, trans rebuild. etc.) it in the last 10 years! Not bad at a per year figure for an hard-working vehicle. I don't do the mtn. passes pulling a trailer any more, but I haul my horses locally & full loads of hay, and occasionally gravel. Enjoy driving a legend!

Old 10-09-2010, 09:05 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the site. My alternator went on my Demon and It would stall constantly. It finally would not start at all and the battery would test above 12 volts. If the battery completely drains then it is more than the alternator. The module on my Coronet did this and again the battery would test at or above 12 volts, but it would die a few minutes after I jumped it with a portable jumper. Is your battery completely drained?
FF

Old 10-11-2010, 01:13 AM
jan4all
Wink New Member

My name is Jan this is a picture of my truck from 1976

http://members.home.nl/jaanra/DSC04125.JPG

http://members.home.nl/jaanra/Jan_Wonck.wmv

Old 08-28-2011, 01:59 PM
Diesel-Gypsy

Jan, super job on that truck!