New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

New from Texas

Old 10-22-2009, 08:12 PM
rtorbett
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New from Texas

Hi ya'll. My name is Bob. We live in the north Texas close to the DFW area. I just purchased a 1998 Ram 1500 S/B E/C with 105k miles. I haven't owned a Dodge since my 63 Dart w/225 slant 6. It was a great little car. I drove that until it threw a rod at around 160k. My Ram has the infamous 318 engine. I know I'll have a few questions since I want to upgrade the stereo and add remote keyless entry. I haven't taken any pics yet, but will post a couple when I get some.

This looks like a great site and I'm looking forward to being on here often

Bob

Old 10-22-2009, 08:40 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the site,
FF

Old 10-22-2009, 10:52 PM
SouthernBoy

Howdy, You should join the Texas club then..hint hint..

Old 10-22-2009, 10:57 PM
JCAllison
Amateur

Originally Posted by rtorbett
Hi ya'll. My name is Bob. We live in the north Texas close to the DFW area.
Hey Bob,
I'm JC. I live in Onalaska, Texas. That's thirty-three miles East of Huntsville.

I haven't owned a Dodge since my 63 Dart w/225 slant 6. It was a great little car. I drove that until it threw a rod at around 160k.
That seldom happens to the Slant Six. Lorrie Van Haul, a 1967 Dodge Mail Van also has a 225 Slant Six. I rebuilt it in the middle '80s. I've just now started back working on Lorrie after she has been let sit since 1995. Hope to have her back on the road in a couple of months.

JC

Old 10-22-2009, 11:55 PM
rtorbett

Thanks everyone. SouthernBoy I'll have to look into the Texas Club. JC, That little Dart was one of my favorite cars. That 225 was a good strong motor. The high lift intake made a big difference in performance. The only reason I didn't rebuild it was my wife wanted a new car. We traded the Dart for a New 67 Mustang 2+2 that was a real lemon. It literally fell apart by 60k. We've had the Ram for about 2 weeks now and I really like it. I've never had anything but Ford trucks before, but the Ram is a lot better truck in my opinion. It doesn't ride quite as smooth, but its a truck!
Thanks again everyone for the warm welcome.

Bob

Old 10-23-2009, 12:22 AM
OklaHemi
Champion

welcome to DF bud.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:07 AM
JCAllison
Amateur

JC, That little Dart was one of my favorite cars. That 225 was a good strong motor. The high lift intake made a big difference in performance.
Hey Bob,
Am unfamiliar with the "high lift intake". Would you care to elucidate?

The engine in Lorrie Van Haul is a stock 225, with a single barrel Holley 1920.

This slant six was the first engine I ever rebuilt. It was quite an experience.

JC

Old 10-23-2009, 08:36 PM
Midnight Runner
Champion

Welcome to D.Forum.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:11 PM
rtorbett

Hi JC. The intake manifold on the 225 was what's called a high rise. It's similar to the manifold used on the early hemi's. This added length to the tubes to the cylinders which provided much better dispersion of the fuel to the cylinders. If you look at this manifold, each cylinder's port uses a separate tube to the collector box at the base of the carb, where conventional manifolds basically use a single tube with ports to the cylinders attached at the appropriate point. It doesn't seem like much, but it added several horses and improved mileage over conventional manifolds where the carb is closer to the head. Another innovative design from Chrysler, just like the hemi chamber design itself.
I hope this helps describe the manifold as I remember it.

Bob

Old 10-25-2009, 01:08 PM
JCAllison
Amateur

Hi JC. The intake manifold on the 225 was what's called a high rise. It's similar to the manifold used on the early hemi's. This added length to the tubes to the cylinders which provided much better dispersion of the fuel to the cylinders. If you look at this manifold, each cylinder's port uses a separate tube to the collector box at the base of the carb, where conventional manifolds basically use a single tube with ports to the cylinders attached at the appropriate point. It doesn't seem like much, but it added several horses and improved mileage over conventional manifolds where the carb is closer to the head. Another innovative design from Chrysler, just like the hemi chamber design itself. I hope this helps describe the manifold as I remember it. Bob
Hey Bob,
You mean like THIS?

Name:  lvhslant61.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  65.7 KB

This is the THIRD Exhaust Manifold that has been on Lorrie. Seems the torquing of the Engine woulc crack the Exhaust Manifold. I finally installed a stout bar from one of the Bell Housing Bolts to the Exhaust Manifold Flange where it connects to the Exhaust Pipe and that seemed to cure the problem.

Lorrie is the Chase Truck for Ms. American 3.14159, the ONLY 1964 Ford Galaxie 500, Four-Door, Hard-Top, Fast Back, Police Interceptor that Google finds on the whole World Wide Web.

http://msamericanpi.bravehost.com/galaxie.htm

And so I've painted the Dodge 225 Slant 6 to match Ms. American's engine. Black with Gold Valve Cover, Air Cleaner, Oil Dip Stick, and Trans Dip Stick tops.

Have the Master Cylinder soaking in Berryman's Chem Dip in a first ditch effort to extract the Pistons from the Cylinder Bore. Tried AeroKroil but that didn't do anything. May have to take it to a Brake Shop and have them either extract them, or tell me that it is an exercise in futility.

Anyway, hope you are well.

JC

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New from Texas