New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

Started Mopars in 1960

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 06:19 PM
sac-gunslinger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Started Mopars in 1960

Howdy all,

New member here. Been a Mopar fanatic since 1960. My Dad bought a 1960 Plymouth Belvedere 2 door sedan. Why, yes, it was baby blue, thank you. Slant six, three speed on the column. That started my love with anything Mopar. The best fun was when the Belvedere was in the shop. The dealer (Periats in San Mateo, long gone) gave us a Dodge Dart with the 225 six...now that was a peppy car.

I think I am longing for another car or truck with the 225 six. Great powerplant, fun to work on. I am a licensed aircraft mechanic and I just love tearing things apart. Maybe an early 70's Dodge 100 would do.

Glad to have found the Dodge forum, hope I can contribute something.

"Sacramento" Bruce Conklin

Old 01-28-2011, 07:14 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the site,
FF

Old 01-28-2011, 11:17 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Welcome to Dodge Forum, Bruce!! Enjoy the site!!

Dusty

Old 01-29-2011, 12:36 PM
Midnight Runner
Champion

Welcome.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:29 PM
sac-gunslinger

Thanks for the welcome guys, I am looking forward to our discussions.

A&P
NRA LIfe
SASS 44183
Mormon Posse #33

Old 01-30-2011, 01:32 PM
bill440cars

Originally Posted by sac-gunslinger
Howdy all,

New member here. Been a Mopar fanatic since 1960. My Dad bought a 1960 Plymouth Belvedere 2 door sedan. Why, yes, it was baby blue, thank you. Slant six, three speed on the column. That started my love with anything Mopar. The best fun was when the Belvedere was in the shop. The dealer (Periats in San Mateo, long gone) gave us a Dodge Dart with the 225 six...now that was a peppy car.

I think I am longing for another car or truck with the 225 six. Great powerplant, fun to work on. I am a licensed aircraft mechanic and I just love tearing things apart. Maybe an early 70's Dodge 100 would do.

Glad to have found the Dodge forum, hope I can contribute something.

Good to have you here, I'm new myself. Sounds like we are from about the era. I've been a Mopar fan since then and maybe a little longer (maybe). Our 1st was a 1941 Plymouth and that's most all that we've ever had. Our 1st New one was a '65 Dart Wagon (225/torqueflite) and it was a pretty peppy little thing as well. Had mostly 383s, a 318, a 360 and a couple of 440s over the years. A100's are pretty unique too! Cool thought.
Looking forward to seeing just what you come up with, I am working on a '92 Dakota (to put a 440 6pk/727 TF into) Enjoy the Forum.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:22 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to the site.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:34 PM
sac-gunslinger

Originally Posted by bill440cars
Our 1st was a 1941 Plymouth and that's most all that we've ever had...
Well, I'm afraid my Dad was a Studebaker fan before buying the Plymouth. We had a '50 Champion, straight six of course. I did get to help him a little with the Studie but really did not get to work on cars until the '60 Plymouth came along. I eventually went on to be an aircraft mechanic in Uncle Sugar's Aero Club and then work on aircraft in the civilian world as an A&P. I always liked tearing into the mechanicals, not always with the desired outcomes.

Today I am a database administrator and a university instructor. Hoping to have the time to find and work on a Dodge pickup.

NRA Life
CRPA Life
SASS 44183
Mormon Posse 33

Last edited by sac-gunslinger; 01-31-2011 at 07:42 PM. Reason: add sig line
Old 02-01-2011, 12:30 PM
bill440cars

Originally Posted by sac-gunslinger
Well, I'm afraid my Dad was a Studebaker fan before buying the Plymouth. We had a '50 Champion, straight six of course. I did get to help him a little with the Studie but really did not get to work on cars until the '60 Plymouth came along. I eventually went on to be an aircraft mechanic in Uncle Sugar's Aero Club and then work on aircraft in the civilian world as an A&P. I always liked tearing into the mechanicals, not always with the desired outcomes.

Today I am a database administrator and a university instructor. Hoping to have the time to find and work on a Dodge pickup.

NRA Life
CRPA Life
SASS 44183
Mormon Posse 33

Really ironic! Back in the early 60's, we had a '56 Plymouth Station Wagon and my Dad got an old Gray Studebaker to drive back and forth to work. I don't remember the exact year and model. I remember it was a 1950 or so, had the 3 pointed nose, a 4 door and the rear doors were the suicide type. A little later, he traded that off and got my Mom a '59 4 door Lark, taking the Plymouth for himself. Had a couple of VWs and a Morris Minor Station Wagon for a bit too and then around '76 they had finally become a 2 Mopar family. He isn't able to drive nowdays (84yrs old) but still has his last ones (an '05 Grand Caravan & a '93 Dakota std cab 4 whl dr (3.9 V6/auto). I didn't get to help any with the mechanic work on the cars, til I was around 15 or so.

Quick Reply: Started Mopars in 1960