New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

If Your A Newbie, Post And Introduce Yourself

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 08:26 AM
alankraw
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Frustrated Dodge owner!

Hi, I'm Alan. I haave a '05 Dodge Magnum RT. I have been dealing with Dodge waaaaayyy too long. Every time I take my car to the dealership, they create a new problem. I love my Dodge Magnum but can't stand Dodge service. They do not know what they are doing !!!

Anyway, I have a new problem. I replaced my battery yesterday and now I cannot get my shifter to go into gear. I checked all the fuses, the brake switch is working as I can hear the solenoid shift in and out. I do not know on what to do next. Buy another car?

I just called my 5 star dealership and they have no clue. All they can say is to have it towed in. As long as they are going to make some $!

Any advise?

Old 05-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Black_Beautiful

Welcome welcome everyone. That shifter problem sounds bad good luck with that ..

Old 05-06-2009, 12:00 PM
R/Tona

I know what you mean about taking in for one problem only to find a new problem after pickup.
My '05 Wrangler was part of a TSB fix. The problem was due to internal shift linkage being too weak (Not "robust" enough, in company terminology). Since it was a well documented problem, the fix was free to me. Problem is, ever since I got it back, I have had a problem with third gear that I'd never had before. If I downshift normally into third, most times, it grinds badly. I need to first, go into fourth then into third.
And on acceleration, if I'm in the upper RPM ranges, it will also grind on the upshift. Going from second to third, I need to pause between gears, so it, apparently, has time to stop spinning.

When I told them about the NEW problem, they just told me "Well, it's under warranty, run it 'til it breaks, then bring it back, but we won't take it apart for that" (Even though "THAT" was cause by them!!)

Anyway, I worked for Chrysler at their Perrysburg plant for 12+ years. Most of the time building Minivan steering columns.

I cannot be sure on the Magnums, as we didn't build them at my plant, but on the columns that WERE built by us, there was what's called a BTSI (Brake Transmission Safety[or Shift] Interlock)
They are activated by a solenoid, and I'm assuming this is the "brake switch" solenoid you are speaking of.
The problem though, is that the linkage may be going bad, even while the solenoid continues to shift in and out.
Assuming the Magnum has a similar setup, the rivets holding the linkage together, and within tolerance, may be loosening up.
Speaking from experience, we had issues at our plant, not only with the rivets themselves not forming properly, but with the machine that did the job.

This is assuming that your Magnum has a similar system, because, as I said, the columns on the LX series cars were not built at our plant, so I am unsure how those systems are set up.

If it has linkage ON the column, you could pull the covers and check it. If the switch is part of the trans, probably better to take it in (to a different dealership).

Hope I helped, and if I can get pictures of the minivan system, I'll post them here.

Last edited by R/Tona; 05-06-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:45 PM
chet_magnum

hello all,

i'm new to this forum (obviously)

i was recommended to check it out by another dodge magnum owner.

anyway, i just picked up an 2005 Magnum RT. i love the car, had a couple questions (obviously). so i registered here.

i am NOT new to forums, i frequent a couple firearms forums local to New England area. cars and guns are two of my favorite hobbies.

i'm already throwing ideas to get a grille, projector headlights and a K&N intake for starters.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:36 PM
halcyonfox

Originally Posted by Black_Beautiful
Glad to be here helps out so much great site.
LOVE your rims and taillight covers! That's just what I want to do with my truck. I have the black front and rear bumper and I really want to knock out the black on black thing.

Your kids a real cutie too!

Old 05-06-2009, 06:39 PM
rat17rug

Hi my name is Brett Gray I own a Red 1994 Dodge Ram 1500 short box, reg. cab w/ a 5.9 360. its a good truck was taken care of could use some body work (bottom of doors are rusting). but all round its in good shape

Old 05-07-2009, 08:42 AM
Black_Beautiful

Welcome to DF!! Glad to have you here. I just took some new pics i will put them up now... Glad you like it

Old 05-07-2009, 10:24 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by alankraw
Hi, I'm Alan. I haave a '05 Dodge Magnum RT. I have been dealing with Dodge waaaaayyy too long. Every time I take my car to the dealership, they create a new problem. I love my Dodge Magnum but can't stand Dodge service. They do not know what they are doing !!!

Anyway, I have a new problem. I replaced my battery yesterday and now I cannot get my shifter to go into gear. I checked all the fuses, the brake switch is working as I can hear the solenoid shift in and out. I do not know on what to do next. Buy another car?

I just called my 5 star dealership and they have no clue. All they can say is to have it towed in. As long as they are going to make some $!

Any advise?
Welcome to DF Alan. Sorry to here about your trouble. Maybe check out the Magnum Section. There are some knowledgeable people over there.

Originally Posted by chet_magnum
hello all,

i'm new to this forum (obviously)

i was recommended to check it out by another dodge magnum owner.

anyway, i just picked up an 2005 Magnum RT. i love the car, had a couple questions (obviously). so i registered here.

i am NOT new to forums, i frequent a couple firearms forums local to New England area. cars and guns are two of my favorite hobbies.

i'm already throwing ideas to get a grille, projector headlights and a K&N intake for starters.
Welcome to DF Chet! Glad you are here!, Sounds like a nice ride you got going there

Originally Posted by rat17rug
Hi my name is Brett Gray I own a Red 1994 Dodge Ram 1500 short box, reg. cab w/ a 5.9 360. its a good truck was taken care of could use some body work (bottom of doors are rusting). but all round its in good shape
Welcome to DF Brett! Alot of the older dodges are kicking still. The Magnum engines are touch! Hope you enjoy it here!

Old 05-07-2009, 07:21 PM
bunkla
Default Overload! - a lot of dodge info - trying to adjust!

Just found the site and signed up this week - WOW! My wife is complaining because I have been spending a couple of hours a day here so far! I have some problems, but they aren't new to you guys - found out how to fix enough stuff crapping out on my 00 Durango 4x4 to keep me busy for many weekends!

Old 05-07-2009, 09:35 PM
99sohcslammer

whats up everyone my names jeremy i just picked up my first dodge! its a 99 neon with a decent amount done to it.to start it ran 13.0 with the potenial for 12.8.its a dohc block and a fully built sohc head crane 14 cam and full titanium valve train,10.5:1 pistons,light wieght fly wheel stage 4 clutch,light under driven pulley,3.55 trans with phantom lsd,nitto auto x tires they apparently grab better them drag radials X=.it has msd to with 2 step and it only wieghs 2100 with half tank of gas..oh and the 13.0 was witht he help of a wet 75 shot and it has a mopar chipped ecu so i guess i got a decent first one lol

Quick Reply: If Your A Newbie, Post And Introduce Yourself