New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

First time Dodge owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 10:47 PM
fdxdrvr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time Dodge owner

Hello all, I just bought my first dodge truck. It's a 99 ram 1500 4x4. I've reading other people's post and now I am worried that something will go wrong with it. Do all 2nd gen trucks have bad transmissions? What should I check for?

Thanks, Troy

Old 12-07-2011, 10:58 PM
97Rampowerhouse
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

welcome to the forum! I just had to replace the tranny in mine cost me 1800 bucks for a rebuild. I had 101,000 miles on it when it took a dump. I was told by the tranny guy he took out the tranny line that has a check valve ball in it. Some times it sticks and the tranny will over heat. Sometime down the road you will be putting a tranny in it lol. Just take care of it and you'll be fine

Old 12-08-2011, 12:24 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
I can tell you, That I repair more front wheel drive transmissions. The trucks hold up pretty good.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:40 PM
vpnavy
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome Aboard fdxdrvr! Remember, Forum's are a source for member's presenting problems and finding solutions. Naturally, 99% posts relate to problems - so don't assume that your ride will be full of problems. It is just like my 2011 Dodge Caravan and transmission problems reported here - I haven't had any. I owned a 2003 Town and Country up until 2010 - never had any problems with it as well. So, just keep everything in perspective when it comes with problem's and Forums. Chances are - you won't have any problems at all.

Quick Reply: First time Dodge owner