New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

Greetz...99 Dakota Owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 01:27 PM
VIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greetz...99 Dakota Owner

Hello all. I've already started posting in the 2nd Gen section (have a inst cluster problem) to try and get some answers/help, but wanted to stop over here and say hello.
I have a 99 Dakota with a 5.2L 4x4 quadcab. Bought it almost a year and a half back. Still under 100k miles and I'm the second owner. You can laugh, but considering what I've driven in the past, this is a "new" vehicle for me....I'm still getting used to power windows and locks.

I actually was rushed into buying the truck as I'm military (AF) and one fine day was told I was being moved halfway across the country...so, needed something to tow a car with along with the essentials for the family. I feel fortunate to have bought this in such good shape at a decent price. But wow, after driving my old "beaters" I'm actually scared to work on this thing sometimes as I'm afraid I'm going to scratch something! ..they put paint on these things?

So anyways, I'm no expert mechanic. I do tinker here and there and if I can figure out how to fix something I usually try to do so myself...still haven't quite gotten completely comfortable doing so on this truck yet, but it usually means I just take 4 times longer. That, and I really haven't had much actually "break" that I've had to rip into things. And, I've been pretty busy to get into makeshift work/upgrades other than regular maint.

Overall I have to say I really like my Dakota. It's comfortable and drives well. Pretty much everything is where I need it and within reach. I have the "turn ****" 4wd and would prefer the manual lever but so far it seems reliable enough. I think the only complaint I have so far is the AC sometime seems a bit underpowered for the larger cab area (I'm in the desert states area so it gets rather warm in the summer) so it takes a bit of time to cool the cab off.

Hopefully I'll have the time to get up some posts here and be active. I'm usually pretty tight up with work so my play time is somewhat limited.

Otherwise, again a hello to everyone and an extra hello to any of my service member brothers and sisters (past and present). Thanks for serving our country alongside me!

Old 04-05-2012, 12:14 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
Thank you for serving, US Army 1974.

Quick Reply: Greetz...99 Dakota Owner