New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

2nd time new member

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 02:41 PM
jeremy.w.bert
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd time new member

This is my second time to visit the Dodge Forum ... I forgot my username etc so signed up again. Last time there were 4 or 5 of you top Dodge wrenches that walked me thru a water pump and timing chain replacement on our 97 Dodge Ram Van one ton/360. I had sprung a gasket leak on the timing chain cover, and it was suggested that I go ahead and change out the timing chain and water pump as long as I was in there changing the gasket.. I did this and with your expert advice the repair went very smooth. Thanks .If you don't remember me this may help. I am an experienced Model A wrench but don't have a lot of time on modern vehicles. Now that I am retired from 32 years going to sea as a Merchant Marine i have the time to do it myself but not the money to let someone else. 2 days ago I let Les Schwab take a look at the brakes after my wife heard some suspicious noise, She is the main driver of the van. The rears were fine but the fronts were metal to metal . We had bought the van from the local college 2 years ago and the service records indicated that a brake job was done the previous year . So I didn't take a look and now I will pay for it. Anyway Schwab wanted a whopping 905 bucks for the job wiith only 133 for labor. So i went to the Oreilly Auto parts store next door and priced the parts . Rotor with the sleeve bearing already installed were 50$ where Schwab is charging 178 for the rotor plus another 31$ for the same sleeve bearing . So needless to say I am doing it myself . Now I know how Schwab makes their $ , Parts markup to the max, while only showing a low labor cost . Sure Ill let them do it for 133 bucks but only if I supply the parts! Here is the write up prices....

Labor 133.25
3/4 - 1 ton 8 lug 2wd front disc w/serv bearing brake job parts 204.00
Brake rotors 177.41 each or 354.82 total
bearing cone 23.75 each or 47.50 total
bearing set 31 43 each or 62.86 total
CR seal 15:14 each 30.28 total
Total est. 905.16

So here are my questions . Are all these parts needed? What do I need? Where is the best price online or otherwise to get them? I have the Haynes manual but there is no good exploded view which are extremely helpful to a novice like me . Help! Jeremy

Last edited by jeremy.w.bert; 04-06-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:40 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
Do you try writing to a moderator and ask them for help on the user name and password from the first account?

Quick Reply: 2nd time new member